Crock Pot Sweet Potato Casserole with brown sugar and crunchy pecans makes a great holiday side dish and it frees up oven space.
A Slow Cooker Reduces Holiday Stress
It’s the same problem each Thanksgiving. Never enough oven space. A lucky few have 2 ovens, but the rest of us are forced to figure out how to roast a turkey and cook multiple side dishes and desserts all in one oevn.
Putting a slow cooker or two to work can greatly reduce holiday stress.
As a bonus, everything for this casserole gets done right in the crock pot. Cooking the sweet potatoes, mashing them, and cooking the casserole- all of it done in the slow cooker. No extra pots or pans to clean.
How To Make Crock Pot Sweet Potato Casserole
( Full recipe directions below)
You’ll start with 4 medium to large sweet potatoes (or yams), peel them and cut them into about a 3/4-inch dice. Add 1 cup of water and cook on HIGH for 3 hours until soft.
Next, remove the lid and mash the sweet potatoes with a hand-held masher. No need to drain the water off.
Add the butter and brown sugar and mix in until the butter is melted. Let cool just a little and then mix in the milk, salt, vanilla and eggs. Combine the ingredients for the topping and sprinkle on top. Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 1/2 hours.
Tips For Making
I think this Crock Pot Sweet Potato Casserole tastes best when made with fresh sweet potatoes, but you can use canned sweet potatoes instead. Just be sure to drain them before adding them to the crock pot and mashing them.
More Thanksgiving Side Dishes
- Sweet Potato Casserole with Marshmallows
- Butternut Squash Casserole
- Slow Cooker Green Bean Casserole
- Southern Cornbread Dressing
- Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes
- The BEST Yeast Rolls
- 4 medium to large sweet potatoes
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 5 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Peel sweet potatoes and cut into approximately 3/4-inch dice. Place in a 6-quart slow cooker. Add 1 cup water, place lid on and cook on HIGH for 3 hours.
- Remove lid and turn slow cooker off. Use a hand-held potato masher to mash the sweet potatoes.
- Stir in the brown sugar and butter until the butter is melted. Let cool 5 minutes so that the eggs do not curdle.
- While cooling, combine the topping ingredients.
- Stir in the milk, vanilla extract, salt and eggs into the crock pot and sprinkle the topping on top. Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 1/2 hours.
Want to Save This Recipe?