Classic Chicken Tetrazzini is outrageously creamy and topped with lots of cheese and sliced almonds. There is so much flavor in this tetrazzini. It is pure old-fashioned comfort food. Mushrooms, bell pepper, onion, and diced pimentos add flavor and a little color.
Half-and-half and a can of condensed cream of mushroom soup make for a really creamy and rich base to this casserole. If you are looking for a recipe without condensed soup, try this Turkey Tetrazzini. You can easily use chicken instead or turkey.
With both parmesan cheese and a full two cups of shredded cheddar cheese, this chicken casserole is extra cheesy.
Classic Chicken Tetrazzini Recipe Tips:
The pimentos can be left out if you wish. As can the mushrooms if you don’t like them.
The dry sherry adds additional flavor but it can be left out without sacrificing too much flavor if you don’t have a bottle. Be sure to use dry sherry, not regular sherry which has a sweet flavor. A bottle from the liquor store doesn’t cost much and will keep a good long while in your refrigerator once opened.
How To Make Ahead, Store, and Freeze:
This recipe can be assembled 24 hours in advance. Cover the baking dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to put it in the oven.
The finished dish can be frozen for up to 2 months. Just wrap tightly and be sure to assemble it in a non-glass baking dish. Thaw it in the refrigerator overnight and place in a 350 degree oven until warm.
Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days.
Try These Other Chicken and Pasta Dinners:
Classic Chicken Tetrazzini
- 3 to 4 pound chicken
- 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 (8-ounce) package mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 medium yellow or sweet onion, diced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 1 (4-ounce) jar diced pimentos, drained
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 teapsoon paprika
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
- Place chicken in a large pot. Add water to cover and 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer, cover and cook for 1 hour. Remove chicken and reserve broth. Let chicken cool and then remove it from the bone and chop into bite-sized pieces.
- Set aside 1/2 cup of the broth for the sauce and bring the rest of the broth in the pot to a boil. Add spaghetti and cook according to package directions. Drain.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a Dutch oven, melt the butter. Add mushrooms, green pepper, and onion and cook until the mushrooms are browned.
- Add the flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and poultry seasoning. Cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in the half-and-half and the 1/2 cup of reserved broth.
- Stir in the condensed mushroom soup, sherry, and pimentos.Add 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese and 1/4 cup of Pamresan cheese. Stir until melted.
- Stir in the chicken and spaghetti. Transfer to a greased 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Bake for 25 minutes.In a small bowl, combine the remaining Parmesan cheese, paprika, and almonds.
- Once casserole has baked for 25 minutes, remove it from the oven. Arrange the remaining cheddar cheese and the Parmesan cheese/almond mixture in diagonal rows on top. Return to oven for 5 to 8 minutes.Serve.