French Onion Chicken and Rice Casserole is an ultra creamy casserole made from rotisserie chicken, French onion dip, 2 kinds of cheese, plus a fried onion topping.
This is THE casserole for onion lovers. There is so much flavor in this casserole. It’s the perfect comfort food dinner.
Plenty Of Cheese Flavor
A combination of cheddar cheese and provolone cheese gives this casserole a good amount of cheese flavor. Let’s face it, a casserole is pretty much always better with cheese.
What Type Of Rice?
This recipe makes use of instant rice. Instant rice cooks really quickly. You just combine it with boiling water and let it sit for 5 minutes. You can add uncooked instant rice to casseroles, but I find it’s better to cook it first and then add it.
What To Serve With French Onion Chicken and Rice Casserole
This is an ultra creamy, cheesy, and rich casserole so it’s best to serve it with something light. Steamed asparagus or broccoli are great sides. It also goes well with Southern-Style Green Beans, green peas, or a side salad with Creamy Italian Dressing. Rolls are a great accompaniment too. I like these Pocketbook Rolls or these Yeast Rolls.
Rotisserie Chicken To The Rescue
This recipe makes use of ultra convenient rotisserie chicken, but you can use any type of leftover cooked chicken or even turkey. It is great for using up Thanksgiving leftovers.
Make In Advance
This recipe can be assembled a day in advance or in the morning. Mix together everything and place in a casserole dish. Wait to add the fried onions just before sticking in the oven.
More Chicken Casserole Recipes
- Chicken Florentine Casserole
- Chicken and Stuffing Casserole
- Chicken Artichoke Casserole
- Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole
- Jalapeno Popper Chicken Casserole
Watch The Short Video Below To See How Easy This Recipe Is To Make
- 2 cups instant white rice
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups chopped rotisserie chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (10.75-ounce) can condensed cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup refrigerated French onion dip
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 slices Provolone cheese
- 2/3 cup French fried onions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Bring water to a boil in a medium sauecepan. Add instant rice, place the lid on the pan and remove from heat. Let sit 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, stir together chicken, paprika, black pepper, condensed soup, French onion dip, chicken broth, cheddar cheese and rice.
- Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish.Place cheese slices on top and sprinkle with French fried onions.
- Bake uncovered for 20 to 25 minutes.