Cheesy Hot Dog Tater Tot Casserole is pure comfort food. Sliced hot dogs, chili, tater tots, and cheddar cheese combine to make an easy and delicious meal. This redneck casserole is sure to be a family favorite.
I use canned chili for this Cheesy Hot Dog Tater Tot Casserole but you could use homemade. Either with or without beans. You’ll need 2 15-ounce cans which would be just under 4 cups of homemade chili. I typically use one can with beans and one can without.
Eight hot dogs get sliced and added to the chili along with ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, finely chopped onion, and just a few red pepper flakes.
Place the mixture in a 9×13-inch baking dish and sprinkle with 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese. Then top with the tater tots. Bake for 30 minutes to get the tater tots crispy. Then sprinkle another cup of shredded cheese on top and bake 10 more minutes. Then get ready to dig into all that cheese!
Be sure to either finely chop the onion or saute it for a few minutes. Otherwise it will taste raw and crunchy in the finished casserole.
Just look at all that cheese!
More Comfort Food Casseroles
- Biscuits and Gravy Casserole
- Crock Pot Ham and Cheese Hash Brown Casserole
- Sausage and Crescent Roll Casserole
Watch the short video below to see how to make this recipe.
Cheesy Hot Dog Tater Tot Casserole
- 8 hot dogs, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 (15-ounce) cans chili (either with or without beans)
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 (28-ounce) bag frozen tater tots
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x13-inch pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine sliced hot dogs, chili, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, onion, and red pepper flakes. Mix well.
- Transfer mixture to prepared pan.
- Sprinkle 1 1/2 cups cheese on top.
- Spread tater tots on top of cheese layer.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle remaining 1 cup cheese on top and bake another 10 minutes.