Crock Pot Ham and Cheese Hash Brown Casserole is super cheesy with chunks of ham and two kinds of cheese. It is great as an all in one breakfast or as a dish for an elaborate holiday brunch.
This is a really rich hash brown casserole which is the way I like my hash brown casseroles. It’s pure comfort food! Sour cream, cream cheese, and a can of potato soup make it super creamy. A combo of cheddar cheese and colby jack cheese adds plenty of cheese flavor.
There’s plenty of ham in this Crock Pot Ham and Cheese Hash Brown Casserole so that each and every bite has a chunk of ham. This recipe is great for using up leftover Easter or Thanksgiving ham.
And check out these other recipes for using up leftover ham- Ham and Cheese Quiche, Cheesy Ham and Potato Chowder, Deviled Ham, and Mac and Cheese with Ham.
Ham and Cheese Hash Brown Casserole Recipe Tips:
To make this casserole spicy, add 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes.
The paper towels placed on top of the crock pot help prevent all the condensation from dripping back down on the casserole.
Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
Cooked and crumbled bacon or sausage can be substituted for the ham.
Try These Other Breakfast Casseroles:
- Chorizo Hash Brown Casserole
- Everything Bagel Breakfast Casserole
- Southern Breakfast Enchiladas with Sausage Gravy
- Ham and Cheese Croissant Casserole
- Sausage and Cheese English Muffin Casserole
Subscribe to our Youtube Channel for lots of short cooking videos.
Ham and Cheese Hash Brown Casserole
- 1 (10.75-ounce) can condensed cream of potato soup
- 1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 8 ounces diced ham
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (30-ounce) package frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 2 cups shredded Colby Jack cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Grease a 5 to 6-quart slow cooker.
- In a large bowl, stir together potato soup, sour cream, and cream cheese.
- Stir in ham, green onions, salt, pepper, garlic powder, hash browns, and 1 1/ cups Colby Jack cheese.
- Transfer to slow cooker.
- Place 2 layers of paper towels on top of slow cooker and cover with lid.
- Cook on low for 4 to 5 hours.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup colby cheese and the cheddar cheese. Cover and cook another 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Originally published Sept 14, 2017.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
8 thoughts on “Ham and Cheese Hash Brown Casserole”
This dish looked so delicious in your newsletter picture that I simply had to drag my slow cooker (which I never use any more) out of the cupboard to make it. We thought this turned out nicely, very tasty and a good way to use up leftover Easter ham. The recipe didn’t specify the type of hash browns to use (diced or shredded), so we went with diced based on the pictures, and they were perfect. The one thing we decided was that next time, we’d double the amount of ham since 8 ounces of ham sort of got lost in the two pounds of hash browns. It would also be helpful, as suggested by another commenter, to have oven/stovetop directions for this, too, since not everybody has a slow cooker or likes to use them (like me).
I make the same recipe and bake in the oven. I add finely diced polish sausage along with diced ham… really good flavor. With this heat wave, I think I’m going to try the crock pot.
Can you make ahead?
Can you bake this instead of doing in crockpot??
What is the purpose of the paper towels?
So you have warm, moist towelettes when you are eating the casserole. Enjoy!
The paper towels absorb the condensation to keep it from dripping back into the casserole & making it runny.