Chorizo Hash Brown Casserole is just the casserole when you want something bold and spicy for a holiday brunch or family get-together. With lots of ground chorizo, jalapeno, and cheese this casserole really packs the flavor.
Le Creuset Giveaway! Scroll down to see details.
As the base for my Chorizo Hash Brown Casserole, I used Simply Potatoes Shredded Hash Browns. I love Simply Potatoes because they are made from fresh, never frozen potatoes. So you get the taste of fresh potatoes without having to go to all the trouble of peeling and shredding potatoes. A bag of Simply Potatoes can be a huge time save in the kitchen. They are delicious cooked up as is or added to your favorite recipes.
Whether it be an Easter Brunch or a spring family gathering, I love to make a hash brown casserole. Kids and adults love them and I never get tired of them because there are so many different ways you can flavor and customize them. I’ve made all kinds of hash brown casseroles over the years. Since my family loves Mexican food and Cinco de Mayo is right around the corner, I decided to make this Chorizo Hash Brown Casserole.
I flavored it with fresh Mexican chorizo sausage (the ground sausage kind, not the cured links) which is wonderfully spicy and full of flavor. I also added some onion and jalapeno (never too much heat!) to the chorizo when I browned it. I briefly browned the hash browns in the same pan I cooked the chorizo so they picked up a little of the chorizo flavoring. Then I transferred the hash browns to a casserole dish and mixed in an egg and a small container of sour cream.
The chorizo gets mixed with a cup of enchilada sauce for some more Mexican flavor and then layered on top of the hash browns.
Finally, on top, a package of shredded Mexican-style cheese.
Forty minutes in the oven and you’ll be digging into a delightfully spicy Mexican-flavored hash brown casserole. With all that gooey cheese, this is just the casserole to make your holiday brunches special. #SimplyHolidays
Chorizo Hash Brown Casserole
- 1/2 pound Mexican chorizo
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bag Simply Potatoes Shredded Hash Browns
- salt and pepper
- 1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup enchilada sauce
- 1 (8-ounce) package shredded Mexican cheese
- fresh cilantro, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 2-quart or 11x7-inch baking dish.
- Cook and crumble chorizo in a nonstick pan. Once it is crumbled, add onion and jalapeno and cook until onion is soft.
- Transfer chorizo mixture to a medium bowl.
- Leave the grease from the chorizo in the pan and add the olive oil to it.
- Heat over medium-high heat and add the Simply Potatoes Hash Browns. Cook just long enough to brown the hash browns some and then transfer them to the prepared baking dish. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream and egg. Pour on top of hash browns and use a rubber spatula or wooden spoon to mix into the hash browns.
- Add enchilada sauce to bowl with chorizo mixture and stir to combine. Add chorizo mixture on top of hash browns.
- Sprinkle cheese on top. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 10 more minutes.
- Sprinkle fresh cilantro on top if desired.
One reader will win a Le Creuset Square Baking Dish. Great for making casseroles! To enter leave a comment below letting us know your favorite way to serve hash browns. Must be 18+ years old and live in the US. Giveaway ends March 31, 2017.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Simply Potatoes®. The opinions and text are all mine.