Sausage and Cheese English Muffin Breakfast Casserole is a tasty, make-ahead breakfast casserole with lots of crumbled sausage, hash browns, and 2 types of cheese.
It’s a great way to use up stale English muffins. But they don’t have to be stale. I typically make this casserole when English muffins are Buy 1 Get One Free.
People rave about this casserole. I love any kind of breakfast casserole, but the flavor and chewy texture that English muffins give a breakfast casserole is incredible.
This easy breakfast casserole can be completely assembled the night before and then it only takes about 40 to 45 minutes in the oven. There’s no need to assemble it in advance though. It can all be done in the morning for a delicious brunch.
How To Make Sausage and Cheese English Muffin Casserole Spicy?
Use “Hot” breakfast sausage or add 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes to the egg mixture.
Use any type of cheese that you have on hand. Breakfast casseroles like this one are great for using up what you have leftover in the fridge. Swiss cheese, Pepper Jack, mozzarella or a Mexican or Italian cheese blend are all good choices.
The hash browns can be left out of the casserole or you can use tater tots instead of hash browns.
This hearty and delicious breakfast casserole will serve 8 people. Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for 4 days.
Try These Other Amazing Breakfast Casseroles:
- Eggs Benedict Casserole
- Biscuits and Gravy Casserole
- Sausage and Crescent Roll Casserole
- Breakfast Tater Tot Casserole
- Loaded Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
Sausage and Cheese English Muffin Casserole
- 1 pound ground breakfast sausage
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups frozen hash browns, thawed
- 5 English Muffins, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 12 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x13-inch baking pan.Place the English muffin pieces in the bottom of the pan.
- Cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet, breaking it apart as it cooks.Scatter sausage evenly on top of English muffins.
- Wipe skillet clean. Add butter and place over medium-high heat.Add onion and hash browns and cook 6 to 8 minutes.Scatter onion and hash browns evenly over sausage.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Sprinkle half the cheese on the casserole, pour the egg mixture on top and then sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until eggs are set.