Mac and Cheese with Ham is a creamy, cheesy, comforting meal. The addition of diced ham turns mac and cheese into a hearty main dish meal. It really is one of the BEST Mac and Cheese Recipes!
This is a pretty basic mac and cheese recipe that begins with a bechamel sauce made with butter, flour, and milk. I added both sharp yellow cheddar cheese and white cheddar for a total of 3 cups of cheese.
The cheese along with 1 pound of cooked pasta, (I used the traditional elbow but any shape will do), and diced ham are added to the bechemel. I also like to add a small amount of nutmeg for flavor.
Baked In The Oven
The whole mixture is poured into a casserole dish, topped with buttered Panko crumbs and baked until hot. If you like, you can add a little cayenne pepper or diced jalapenos to spice it up.
How To Serve
Mac and Cheese with Ham is creamy and filling. Perfect comfort food for any time of year. Add a simple salad and you have a super easy, kid-friendly meal.
Best eaten shortly after it is made but leftovers will keep for 4 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator. If leftovers are a little dry, add a splash of milk or half-and-half before reheating.
More Mac and Cheese Recipes
- Super Creamy Mac And Cheese
- Chicken, Bacon, and Ranch Mac and Cheese
- Flamin Cheetos Mac and Cheese
- Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- 1 pound elbow pasta, cooked and drained
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded yellow sharp cheddar
- 1 1/2 cups shredded white cheddar
- 8 ounces ham, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup panko crumbs or homemade bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Melt butter in a large, heavy pot over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute. Add milk in a slow, steady stream whisking to keep from lumping.
- Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until mixture is thick and bubbly. Whisk frequently during this time.
- Season with 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg. Reserve 3/4 cup of cheese and place remaining cheese in pot and stir until melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in cooked pasta and ham. Transfer to a lightly greased 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Top with remaining 3/4 cup cheese.
- Combine panko crumbs and melted butter in a small bowl and sprinkle on top of mac and cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Originally posted Ovetover 26, 2014.