Hamburger Steak Skillet Casserole consists of a hearty ground beef mixture in a thick gravy with diced tomatoes covered with a layer of white cheddar mashed potatoes. It tastes like a southern hamburger steak or salisbury steak except in casserole form. It’s like a southern version of Shepherd’s Pie and it is so good.
This Hamburger Steak Skillet Casserole feeds at least 6 people and it reheats well. It’s so heary and comforting. Perfect for a cold winter night.
You’ll want to use etiher a 12-inch cast iron pan or a 12-inch oven-safe pan to make this recipe. You’ll begin by browning 2 pounds of lean ground beef, a cup of chopped onion, and 2 (8-ounce) packages of cremini mushrooms that have been quartered. If you’re not a fan of mushrooms, just leave them out. You could add a little diced green bell pepper.
Next you’ll add garlic, salt, pepper, and dried thyme for seasoning. One quarter cup of flour gets added. It will help thicken the gravy.
Next add a can of diced tomatoes, a can of condensed French onion soup, a cup of beef broth, a tablespoon of red wine vinegar, parsley, and garlic powder. Let this mixture simmer 10 minutes. If needed, you can stop at this point and refrigerate the beef mixture overnight and proceed with the recipe the next day.
Next, boil some peeled and chopped Yukon Gold potatoes until soft. Mash them with butter, milk, and shredded white cheddar cheese. Spread the mashed potatoes on top of the ground beef mixture and broil for 3 to 5 minutes to get everything hot.
This is a hearty and deliciously rich meal that’s best served with a green salad.
More Comfort Food Dinners
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 (8-ounce) packages cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (10.5-ounce) can condensed French onion soup
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup milk, warmed
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a 12-inch cast iron pan over medium-high heat. Add ground beef, onion, and mushrooms. Break ground beef apart as it cooks and cook until beef is browned and onion and mushrooms are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, salt, pepper, and thyme and cook 1 minute.
- Stir flour into mixture and cook 1 minute.
- Stir in tomatoes, condensed French onion soup, beef broth, parsley, vinegar, and garlic powder.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, peel potatoes and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks. Place in a pot and cover with water. Add salt to the water ( a few teaspoons) and bring to a boil. Simmer until potatoes are soft.
- Drain potatoes. add butter, milk, and cheese. Mash with a potato masher until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spread potatoes on top of beef mixture. Transfer pan to oven and broil for about 3 to 5 minutes.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Recipe adapted from Cast Iron Cooking Magazine
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.