Hamburger Steaks with Bourbon Mushroom Gravy- tender ground beef patties are covered in a thick, rich and creamy gravy flavored with bourbon and mushrooms.
This recipe takes regular old hamburger patties and turns them into something special. The bourbon gives the gravy a touch of smoky caramel and vanilla flavor.
Type of Bourbon To Use
Use a good quality bourbon, but not too expensive a bourbon for this recipe. You can’t tell the difference between the two and that super expensive bottle of bourbon is best saved for sipping. I typically use Maker’s Mark. It is the one bourbon I always have in my liqueur cabinet.
Note: If you don’t like bourbon, you can make the gravy without bourbon.
Type Of Ground Beef To Use
For super moist and juicy hamburger patties, I like to use ground chuck. It’s high fat content prevents the steaks from drying out. You can use a slightly more lean ground beef, but you don’t want to go much leaner than 85% or your hamburger steaks will be tough and dry.
Hamburger Steaks with Bourbon Mushroom Gravy Recipe Tips
To make this dish spicy, add 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes to the gravy.
A cast iron skillet works really well for this recipe and will get a nice sear and crust on the outside of the hamburger steaks. A nonstick skillet also works well.
I like a thick gravy, but the gravy can easily be thinned with beef broth or milk.
Great served with some Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes and Peas or Southern-Style Green Beans.
More Hamburger Steak Recipes
- Hamburger Steak Skillet Casserole
- Hamburger Steak with Country Gravy
- Hamburger Steak with Mushroom Gravy
Hamburger Steaks with Bourbon Mushroom Gravy
- 2 pounds ground chuck
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/4 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 medium onion, sliced
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- In a large bowl, gently stir together the first 8 ingredients. Shape into 6 patties.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat.Add patties and cook for 4 minutes per side. Remove and set aside.
- Leave drippings in skillet and add butter. When butter is melted, add onion and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cook for 4 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour on top of onions and mushrooms. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in the beef broth and then the heavy cream. Add bourbon. Bring to a simmer and then return hamburger patties to skillet. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes to thicken the gravy and warm the patties.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
1 thought on “Hamburger Steaks with Bourbon Mushroom Gravy”
While I have not yet made this recipe, the thought of these burgers covered with a creamy mushroom gravy spiked with Bourbon sure makes me salivate with high expectations. This sounds magical to me…!