Hamburger Steaks with Mushroom Gravy- seasoned ground beef patties are covered with an easy gravy loaded with mushrooms. This comfort food meal can easily be made in under 30 minutes.
I love to serve it over mashed potatoes with peas or green beans. The gravy is simple. Only 5 ingredients. But the mushrooms give it a rich, earthy flavor.
Hamburger Steaks are one of my favorite economical meals. Scroll down to find more Hamburger Steak recipes.
How To Make Hamburger Steaks with Mushroom Gravy
- Combine all the hamburger steak ingredients in a large bowl, using just half the onion. Gently mix them together. Overmixing will lead to tough patties.
- Shape into 6 patties. I like to make them oval-shaped, but you can make them round.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet and cook the patties for 4 minutes per side. Note: You don’t need to cook them through at this point.
- Remove the patties from the skillet and cook the mushrooms and remaining onions in the drippings.
- Add the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk in the beef broth and return the patties to the skillet. Continue to cook until the gravy thickens and the patties are cooked through.
- I like to use ground chuck for this recipe. It has a good amount of fat and lots of flavor. The fat helps the patties stay moist and tender. You can use a leaner ground beef but it may cook up a little dry.
- Either white mushrooms or cremini mushrroms can be used. Cremini have more of an earthy flavor to them.
- For even more flavor try adding a little bacon to the gravy.
- To make this dish spicy, add 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes to the gravy.
- Leftovers can be kept for 3 to 4 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator and reheated in the microwave.
- The hamburger steak patties can be mixed and shaped up to 8 hours ahead of time.
Try These Other Hamburger Steak Recipes
- Hamburger Steak with Country Gravy
- Hamburger Steak Skillet Casserole
- Chicken Fried Hamburger with White Gravy
- Cubed Steak with Onion Gravy
- 2 pounds ground chuck
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme or 2 teaspoons fesh
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 12 ounces cremini or white mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- Place first 8 ingredients in a large bowl. Add half the diced onion.Gently mix just until evenly mixed. Shape into 6 oval patties.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add the meat patties.Cook for 4 minutes per side and then remove to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Add the butter to the drippings in the pan. Place over medium heat.Add remaining onion and the mushrooms and cook until mushrooms are golden
- Add the flour and cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in beef broth. Return beef patties to the skillet. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until gravy is thickened and patties are cooked through, about 4 to 5 minutes.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.