Buttery Peas and Mushrooms is a quick and easy side dish with lots of flavor. Can be made start to finish in just 15 minutes.
Peas are one of my favorite side dishes but they can be a little plain. The simple addition of sautéed onions and mushrooms turns something ordinary into something special that can be served for a regular family meal or a special occasion.
This pea side dish goes well with so many foods. I especially like it with steak, roast pork, or Chicken and Gravy. The earthiness of the mushrooms goes so well with the sweetness of the peas. The peas are simmered in chicken broth for extra flavor.
A bag of frozen peas is used for convenience. Peas are one of my favorite frozen vegetables to use.
Buttery Peas and Mushrooms Recipe Tips:
- You can use cremini mushrooms or white mushrooms and either a sweet onion or yellow onion.
- When you saute the onions and mushrooms, use as big a skillet as you have. You want the mushrooms to be really spread out, not crowded so that they brown nicely. If they are too crowded, they will steam.
- If you want this dish to be vegetarian, use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
- To make it spicy, add 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes.
Try These Other Delicious Side Dishes:
- Creamed Spinach– Just like your favorite steakhouse.
- Creamed Peas and Pearl Onions– another great pea recipe!
- Creamy Butter Beans– so much flavor in these beans.
- Country Ranch Green Beans and Potatoes– hugely popular!
- Southern-Style Green Beans– so tasty.
Buttery Peas and Mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter, I use salted
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 medium sweet onion, sliced
- 1 (13-ounce) bag frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Melt butter over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Add mushrooms and onion and cook until the mushrooms are golden.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer.Turn heat down. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.Uncover, turn heat up and cook 2 more minutes.