Creamed Peas and Pearl Onions is a rich and creamy side dish perfect for a holiday meal. Peas and pearl onions are such a classic combination.
Bird’s Eye makes a frozen peas and pearl onions that I have loved for years, but lately I have had touble finding it. This recipe has that same wonderful flavor combination, but in a creamy sauce.
How to make Creamed Peas and Pearl Onions
This is a really simple side dish recipe using either fresh or frozen green peas. You’ll want to thaw them if frozen.
You could use fresh pearl onions, but they are such a pain to peel. Save yourself the time and buy a bag of frozen pearl onions.
You’ll blanch the pearl onions in hot water for 5 minutes. Then saute them in butter for 2 minutes. Add the peas and cook 1 more minute.
Next add 1/4 cup of flour and cook and stir for 1 minute to cook the flour and get rid of the raw flour flavor. Stir in 1/2 cup of chicken broth and 1/2 cup of heavy cream. Add 1 teaspoon each of salt and sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. Cook just long enough to thicken the sauce and it’s ready to serve.
I like to sprinkle a little fresh mint on top for extra falvor, but that is optional.
This classic side dish pairs well with chicken, beef, turley, and pork. Try it spooned over mashed potatoes. Divine!
More Side Dish Recipes with Peas
- 1 (14-ounce) package frozen pearl onions
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 5 cups fresh or frozen peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh mint, optional
- Fill a medium saucepan halfway with water. Bring to a boil. Add pearl onions and simmer gently for 5 minutes. Drain.
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add pearl onions and cook 2 minutes.
- Add peas and cook 1 minute.
- Add flour and cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Gradually add chicken broth and heavy cream, mixing it in as you pour.
- Add salt, sugar, and black pepper. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes to thicken.
- Sprinkle with mint.
Want to Save This Recipe?