This Homemade Creamed Spinach is as rich and creamy as your favorite steak house. And it is a cinch to make from frozen spinach.
Creamed Spianch is the perfect side for a juicy steak. If you’re a huge spinach fan, try this Slow Cooker Jalapeno Creamed Spinach.
I like using frozen spinach because it is super simple and I really don’t think you can taste a difference in flavor between using fresh and frozen. The problem with fresh spinach is you need so much of it and it takes up so much space, wilting down to almost nothing.
Best thing about this recipe is it can be made in under 15 minutes!
Ingredients Needed to Make This Recipe:
- Cream cheese
- Salt, pepper, and garlic salt
- Frozen chopped spianch
- Parmesan cheese
Not all Creamed Spinach recipes have cream cheese in them, but I like the extra richness and creaminess that cream cheese gives this spinach dish.
Creamed Spinach Recipe Tips:
You can either defrost the spinach in the microwave or place it in the refrigerator a day in advance.
Be sure to squeeze most of the moisture out of the spinach.
Add 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes if you want your spinach to be spicy.
Depending on how much water you squeeze out of the spianch, your creamed spinach may be a little thick. Just add a touch more half-and-half or some milk.
Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
More Restaurant Quality Sides:
- Super Crispy Roasted Potatoes
- Super Creamy Mac and Cheese
- Southern-Style Green Beans
- 12 Bones Corn Pudding
- Beer-Battered Onion Rings
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup finely diced sweet onion
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cut into pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teapsoon garlic salt
- 2 (10-ounce) boxes frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed in paper towels to get rid of excess moisture
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium heat.Add onion and cook for 3 minutes to soften.
- Add flour. Cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Slowly stir in the half-and-half. Cook until mixture starts to simmer.
- Turn heat down some and add in cream cheese, salt, pepper, and garlic salt. Stir until cream cheese is melted.
- Add spinach and Parmesan cheese. Stir over medium heat until spinach is evenly mixed in.If too thick, add a litttle more half-and-half or some milk.
- Check for seasoning and add more salt and pepper if desired.
Want to Save This Recipe?