Hamburger Steak with Country Gravy- tender, seasoned ground beef patties are pan-fried and covered with a creamy, country gravy. Such a hearty and economical meal. Cooks up in under 20 minutes.
How To Serve
Serve with mashed potatoes or rice and green peas and you have a plate of pure comfort food. It’s a blue-plate special at home. This southern meal will get rave reviews.
How To Make Hamburger Steaks With Country Gravy
You’ll start with 1 1/2 pounds of ground beef and add 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs, 1 egg, and 1 tablespoon of ketchup to ensure the finished steak is tender and moist. For seasoning there’s Worcestershire sauce, seaosned salt, garlic powder, and onion powder.
Form 6 patties and pan fry in a tablespoon of oil for 4 to 5 minutes per side. You’ll use the grease in the pan to make a quick and easy country gravy by adding a little butter and flour and then whisking in 3 cups of milk. Season with a little salt and pepper plus garlic powder and onion powder and it’s ready to be served.
This weeknight dinner can be made even quicker if you premix the ground beef mixture ahead of time.
If the gravy is too thick, add a little more milk.
Add a pinch of cayenne pepper to the ground beef mixture or the gravy to spice this dish up some.
More Economical Beef Recipes
- Chicken Fried Hamburger with White Gravy
- Italian Cubed Beef
- Cubed Steak with Onion Gravy
- Ground Beef Stroganoff
- Hamburger Steaks with Mushroom Gravy
Watch the short video below to see how easy this recipe is to make:
Hamburger Steak with Country Gravy
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or canola oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- In a large bowl, mix together ground beef, breadcrumbs, egg, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Shape into 6 patties.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil. When hot add the ground beef patties.
- Cook for 4 to 5 minutes per side. Turn heat down to medium if they are browning too quickly.Remove from pan and set aside.
- You want about 2 tablespoons of grease in the pan. If you have more than that, pour the extra off. If you have less than 2 tablespoons, you'll use an extra tablespoon of butter to make up for it.
- Add the butter to the skillet and melt it over medium heat.
- Add the flour. Cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in the milk . Bring to a simmer and add the garlic powder, onion powder and salt and pepper to taste.Simmer 2 to 3 minutes to thicken. Spoon gravy over hamburger steak to serve.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
11 thoughts on “Hamburger Steak with Country Gravy”
Great menu . Easy to follow intruction for me because I am not a good cook. I follow a lot of menu from you . My family love my cook now . Thank you.
I made the southern hamburger steak with a country white peppered gravy
packet by Pioneer. I added diced red peppers and jalapeno’s to the mix. Loved it,
Is it ok to make the patties a day ahead?
As on not cooked yet.
I THINK THE BREAD CRUMBS AMOUNT IS TOO MUCH , I ALSO DID NOT CARE FOR W SAUCE ALL OTHER SPICES WERE FINE
No fail recipe. Leftovers freeze well. 👍🏻👍🏻
This is really good, quick and easy. Thanks for the recipe!
I made this tonight with ground turkey. It was easy and tasted great. My son even said “this is good, you can make it again”
As a mother I know it’s always great when you get a child’s seal of approval. 🙂
I made this some time ago and am making it again tonight. Excellent recipe!
Love your receipes cant wait too make them