Grilled Cheese and Sloppy Joes married together. This is so good y’all. During the fall I tend to either like long, slow-cooked meals or super quick and easy ones for those busy days.
This one is so simple to prepare in hardly any time at all. You can even make the sloppy joe part a few days in advance. Maybe on a Sunday evening so you already have a meal half made for the week.
I can’t seem to find Texas Toast at my grocery store any more. What’s up with that? So instead I used a hearty white bread which I actually really like for grilled cheese becasue it holds up so well. Pepperidge Farm Hearty White is the one I buy.
The sloppy joe mixture is a little sweet and it gets covered in melted ooey, gooey cheddar cheese. Use another type of cheese if you like. I like to use a lot of sloppy joe in relation to the cheese, but you can go heavier on the cheese and lighter on the sloppy joe.
And that golden, buttery crust on the bread!
Seriously yum y’all.
Sign up HERE for the Spicy Southern Kitchen Newsletter.
Sloppy Joe Grilled Cheese
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 slices Texas toast or hearty white bread
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Add ground beef to a nonstick pan placed over medium heat. Use a wooden spoon to break it apart as it cooks. As soon as you have it crumbled, add the onion and green pepper. Cook until beef is no longer pink and onion and pepper is softened.
- Add ketchup, dry mustard, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, and cayenne pepper. Stir to combine well and cook over medium-low heat for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- For each sandwich, spread 1/4 cup cheese on top of one slice of bread. Top with sloppy joe mixture. Place second piece of bread on top.
- Heat griddle or nonstick pan over medium heat. Add 1/2 tablespoon butter, let it melt and place sandwich on top. Cook until bottom is golden, lift sandwich with a spatula, place another 1/2 tablespoon of butter down, and flip sandwich over. Cook until cheese is melted.