I’m sharing #SausageFamily in my life as part of a Johnsonville sponsored series for Socialstars™
Brats in a Blanket are a fun and exciting way to celebrate Bratsgiving- National Bratwurst Day on August 16th. They are like a grown-up, super-sized version of Pigs in a Blanket. But don’t worry. The kids will love them. They are so juicy and tasty.
I used Johnsonville Firecracker Brats, my new favorite Bratwurst flavor. They have just the right amount of heat and are so flavorful and delicious.
First I grilled them to give them that awesome grill-flavor. I let them cool and wrapped them in puff pastry with swiss cheese, mustard, and sauerkraut.
You could also use crescent roll dough, but I love how buttery and crispy the puff pastry gets.
Note: 5 Brats come in a package of Johnsonville Brats, but I couldn’t think of a good way to cut a sheet of puff pastry into 5 pieces that would fully wrap around the brats. So you will have one brat leftover. If someone doesn’t eat it up right away, save it in the refrigerator. You can chop it up and add it to mac and cheese or to a grilled cheese sandwich. Talk about delicious!!
Visit Johnsonville’s website for ideas on how to celebrate Bratsgiving plus oodles of delicious recipes.
Brats in a Blanket
- 1 package Johnsonville Brats
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, defrosted according to package directions
- 6 slices swiss cheese
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 cup sauerkraut, drained well
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds, optional
- Grill brats according to package directions. Let cool.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place puff pastry on a lightly floured surface and roll out slightly. When cut in quarters, each piece should be about as long as a bratwurst.
- Cut puff pastry into 4 equal quarters. Place on prepared baking sheet.
- Place 1 1/2 slices Swiss cheese to cover each piece of puff pastry.
- Spread 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard on top of cheese for each piece of puff pastry.
- Arrange 1/4 cup sauerkraut down the center of each piece and place the bratwursts on top.
- Roll puff pastry around bratwurst and place seam side down.
- Whisk egg with 1 tablespoon water and brush egg mixture across the top of the puff pastry.
- Sprinkle with caraway seeds.
- Place in oven and bake for 20 to 24 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve with mustard.