Bratwurst Mac and Cheese is the perfect mac and cheese for celebrating Oktoberfest. It’s an easy stovetop recipe with lots of creaminess and cheese flavor. I’ve used both cheddar cheese and Monterey Jack cheese for plenty of cheesiness.
Caramelized onions, beer, and a touch of mustard give it an exceptional taste. But the best part is the slices of grilled bratwurst.
Not only is this a wonderful Oktoberfest recipe, it’s great for using up leftover grilled brats, like these Jalapeno Beer Brats.
So creamy and rich with chunks of delicious grilled bratwurst. Yum!!
Bratwurst Mac and Cheese works either as a side dish or as a main dish. I’ve used penne, but any pasta shape will do.
It’s a fun and flavorful twist on mac and cheese that’s just the thing for fall meals and get togethers! Serve with a bowl of pretzels. You can even crush some and sprinkle them on top of the mac and cheese.
Never miss a recipe. Follow Spicy Southern Kitchen on Pinterest.
Bratwurst Mac and Cheese
- 2 medium sweet onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup beer
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 8 ounces penne pasta, cooked
- 2 cooked bratwurst, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add onions and sugar. Cook stirring frequently until onions are golden brown, about 20 minutes. (Turn heat down to medium-low if onions are browning too quickly. You want them to cook slowly.
- Add beer to pan and cook until most of it has evaporated (1-2 minutes). Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a Dutch oven or large pan, melt 1/4 cup butter over medium heat. Sprinkle flour over butter and stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a simmer for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Stir in Dijon mustard, salt, pepper, and cheese. Once cheese has melted, add pasta and bratwurst. Serve.
More Mac and Cheese Favorites
More Ocktoberfest Recipes