Beef Florentine Casserole is a delicious Italian-style casserole with egg noodles, spinach, and lots of cheese. It is one of my favorite ground beef casseroles.
It tastes a little bit like lasagna except with egg noodles instead of lasagna noodles.
There are 3 types of cheese in this recipe for lots of cheese flavor: mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, and cottage cheese.
WHY USE COTTAGE CHEESE?
I love cottage cheese in a casserole even though I’m not a fan of cottage cheese by itself. It’s ultra-creamy in a casserole and has a really neutral flavor. I prefer it to ricotta cheese but you can use ricotta cheese if it is your preference.
HOW TO MAKE BEEF FLORENTINE CASSEROLE?
- Cook the egg noodles.
- While they cook, make the meat sauce.
- Mix together the cottage cheese, spinach, and Parmesan cheese.
- Layer half the meat sauce in the bottom of a greased 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Spread the cottage cheese mixture on top and sprinkle with half the mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with the remaining noodle mixture and sprinkle on the remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Cover and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 10 minutes.
Spread Cottage Cheese Mixture Over Noodle Layer.
Ricotta cheese can be used instead of cottage cheese.
Be sure you squeeze the water out of the spinach or the casserole will be watery.
Leftovers will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4 days and can be reheated in the microwave.
Try These Other Comfort Food Casseroles:
- Chicken Florentine Casserole
- Pulled Pork King Ranch Casserole
- Johnny Marzetti Casserole
- Spaghetti Casserole
- 1 (8-ounce) package wide egg noodles
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 (8-ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 (6-ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- chopped fresh parsley, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain and set aside.Note: While water is coming to a boil, proceed to next step.
- Add ground beef to a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Crumble it with a wooden spoon as it cooks. When it is about halfway cooked, add the onion and garlic.
- Drain the grease from the pan and place back over medium-high heat.Add Italian seasoning, tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, sugar, salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Simmer for 3 to 5 minutes.Stir noodles into sauce. Spread half the sauce/noodle mixture in the bottom of the prepared pan.
- In a medium bowl, stir together cottage cheese, spinach, and Parmesan cheese.
- Spread cottage cheese mixture over the sauce/noodle layer.
- Sprinkle with half the mozzarella cheese.Spread remaining sauce/noodle mixture over the cheese layer.
- Sprinkle on remaining mozzarella cheese.Cover with foil. Be sure to spray the underside of the foil with cooking spray so the cheese doesn't stick.
- Bake for 20 minutes.Uncover and bake another 10 minutes.Garnish with parlsey if desired.
Want to Save This Recipe?