Slow Cooker Barbecued Green Beans are sweet and tangy with lots of smoky bbq flavor. Made from canned beans, they are a cinch to make and are a great side dish for potlucks and family meals. They are kind of like the flavor of baked beans, only with green beans. What’s not to love about that?
I love the flavor of bbq sauce. It is like ketchup to me. I even use it as pizza sauce. It’s definitely a good complement for green beans.
I find recipes featuring green beans are very popular. Southern-Style Green Beans and Sweet and Sour Green Beans are two of the most popular recipes on Spicy Southern Kitchen. As much as I love both recipes, I think this Slow Cooker Barbecued Green Beans recipe is my favorite. It’s almost like green bean candy.
The canned green beans are slow cooked with ketchup, brown sugar, BBQ sauce (use your favorite) and Worcestershire sauce. And bacon. Lots of bacon. I like to add just a touch of cayenne pepper to balance the sweetness some.
Four to five hours in the crock pot on LOW and the green beans are coated in the most amazing sweet and tangy flavor!
Slow Cooker Barbecued Green Beans
- 8 slices thick-cut bacon
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 (14.5-ounce) cans green beans, drained
- Chop bacon and cook it in a large nonstick pan. Remove bacon and set aside.
- Discard all but 2 tablespoons bacon grease. Add onion to bacon grease left in pan and cook until soft.
- In a medium bowl, stir together ketchup, brown sugar, BBQ sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper.
- Add green beans to a lightly greased 4 to 6 quart crock pot.
- Add onions along with any bacon grease left in pan to crock pot.
- Pour ketchup mixture on top and stir in.
- Sprinkle bacon on top. Cover crock pot and cook on LOW for 4 to 5 hours.
Want to Save This Recipe?
More Green Bean Recipes
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
76 thoughts on “Slow Cooker Barbecued Green Beans”
I get WOWS every time I make this
Don’t let the combination deter you. This is a easy recipe and very delicious.
So good! These are a go to recipe for whenever I need to bring a side to a summer party.
These are easy and so delicious! I follow the recipe exactly and they come out delicious everytime. Don’t be fooled-it makes a lot but they are so good everyone will come back for seconds!!
I have made this twice now and because I am a diabetic I exchanged the brown sugar and the bbq sauce for sugar free and the family loved it
The hit of the 4th of July cookout
Can you use fresh or frozen beans?
oh hell yes
Very good! I baked mine alongside our dinner and was a bit heavy-handed with the cayenne — but will make again in the slow cooker as directed.
Fantastic green beans. I followed the recipe exactly as written and turned out great. This would be great for a large family meal or family reunion it makes quite a bit.
Delicious recipe. I used Cajun flavored bacon from our local butcher shop. Add an extra kick to it without being too spicy. Looking forward to adding this to our family gatherings menu. Will be perfect with Smoked BB Ribs.
Can you use fresh green beans ?
i’d put half in at the beginning and half when done. why not?