This Candied Green Beans recipe turns canned green beans into a sweet and salty side dish with a homemade taste. Quick and easy to make.
Made with bacon, brown sugar, onion, and butter, these green beans are hard to stop eating.
Quick and Easy Recipe
Four cans of green beans, plus 5 other ingredients and salt and pepper are all that’s needed to make this recipe.
Lots Of Bacon Flavor
The addition of bacon, plus cooking the green beans in bacon grease, gives this side dish lots of smoky, salty flavor.
How To Serve
Candied Green Beans make a great side for a holiday meal and they go great with chicken, beef or pork as a weeknight side.
I like to use a large nonstick pot or deep skillet for this recipe but you can use one without a nonstick surface. Just be sure to spray it well with cooking spray so the bacon doesn’t stick.
How To Make Candied Green Beans
- Start by cooking the bacon. When it is about 75% cooked, add the onion and continue cooking until the bacon is crispy and the onion is softened.
- Add the brown sugar, butter, and soy sauce and cook until the sugar and butter are melted.
- Turn heat to low and add the drained green beans and cook and stir for 3 to 4 minutes.
Can Fresh Green Beans Be Used?
Yes. Boil the green beans in salted water until tender. Drain and proceed with the recipe.
Is This Dish Spicy?
This dish does not have any added spice. Add 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes to make it spicy.
More Easy Side Dish Recipes
- Rotel Green Beans
- Buttered Noodles
- Buttered Parsley Potatoes
- Maple-Glazed Green Beans
- Buttery Peas and Mushrooms
Candied Green Beans
- 6 to 7 slices bacon, diced
- 1/2 medium sweet or yellow onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- salt and pepper
- 4 (15.5-ounce) cans green beans, drained
- Heat a nonstick pot over medium heat.Note: You can use a regular pot and spray it with cooking spray.Add bacon and cook until about 75% cooked.
- Add onion and continue to cook until bacon is crispy.
- Add sugar, butter, and soy sauce. Stir until the sugar and butter are melted.
- Add green beans, turn heat to low and cook, stirring frequently for 3 to 4 minutes.