These Maple-Glazed Green Beans are a sweet and salty side dish flavored with bacon and cranberries. These green beans are perfect for the holidays.
The bright green of the green beans and the red cranberries make them a great choice for Christmas Dinner. There’s lots of bacon flavor in this dish. You’ll use the bacon grease to cook the onion to maximize flavor.
Easy To Make Ahead.
This dish can easily be cooked ahead of time and then reheated. Wait until just before serving to sprinkle on the bacon.
How To Cook The Green Beans:
I cook mine in boiling, salted water, but if you prefer to steam green beans, go ahead and do it that way. Cooking time is really personal preference. If you like your green beans to still have a little crunch, shorten the cooking time. If you like them soft, cook them at least 10 minutes, maybe longer.
Maple-Glazed Green Beans Recipe Tips:
You can leave the green beans whole or cut the longer ones in half.
I recommend using fresh green beans, but canned or frozen could be used in a pinch. The salty/sweet glaze will add plenty of flavor to them.
If you want to add some heat to these green beans, add 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper to the glaze.
Try These Other Amazing Holiday Sides:
- Bacon-Wrapped Green Bean Bundles
- Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and TABASCO Honey Glaze
- Pineapple Casserole
Looking for more Green Bean Recipes? Try These:
Maple Glazed Green Beans
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh green beans, ends trimmed
- 4 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 medium yellow or sweet onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add green beans and cook for 6 to 10 minutes, depending on how soft you want them.Drain and place in a large bowl of ice water. (You can skip this step, but it helps keep there bright green color.)
- Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet until crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Cook the onion in the bacon grease until soft, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the soy sauce, cranberries, maple syrup, salt and pepper to the skillet. Add the green beans and stir to coat the green beans.
- Transfer to a bowl or serving platter and sprinkle with bacon.