Green beans cooked with lots of bacon and onion and coated in a sweet, salty, and sour sauce make one of the best side dishes ever. The kind of side dish where you don’t even care if there is a main dish.
My favorite way to cook green beans is this Southern-Style Green Bean recipe, but this is a close second. It’s kind of like a German potato salad only with green beans.
I like to use fresh green beans but you could certainly use canned or frozen.
The sweet and sour flavor primarily comes from sugar and apple cider vinegar. Bacon adds even more saltiness. Onions are cooked in the bacon grease to add even more bacon flavor.
Sweet and Sour Green Beans are so easy to make with ingredients you most likely already have on hand.
Even if you’re not typically a fan of green beans, this recipe is a must try. I don’t think there will be any leftovers.
Never miss a recipe. Follow Spicy Southern Kitchen on Pinterest, YouTube, and Facebook.
Sweet and Sour Green Beans
- 1 1/4 pounds fresh green beans, ends trimmed
- 5 slices thick-cut bacon
- 1/2 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Place green beans in a large pot of salted water. Bring to a boil. Simmer 12 to 15 minutes. Drain.
- Chop bacon into bite-sized pieces and cook until crisp in a large nonstick pan. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add onion to bacon drippings and cook until softened.
- Add remaining ingredients to pan and stir to mix.
- Add green beans to pan and toss to coat in the sauce. Continue to cook 1-2 minutes, stirring often so that the green beans pick up as much flavor as possible.
- Sprinkle bacon on top and serve.
Want to Save This Recipe?
More Green Bean Recipes
35 thoughts on “Sweet and Sour Green Beans”
OK, but nothing special. I was hoping for something quite tasty, and was disappointed. Will not make this again, but will try recipes from other sites.
Delicious and so southern….
Beautiful paired it with crispy fried potatoes and baked ham with pineapple casserole 👅
Can you use canned green beans???
This may be a good recipe but the advertisements cover up the directions until you cannot read the directions. You cannot “x” them out. AAA is particularly egregious. I know you have to have advertisements but they should not be allowed to cover the directions.
I am so sorry. That is a glitch when that happens. You can try refreshing the page.
This was soooo good!
I’ve made it a few times,
I made it without the worcestershire sauce once, excellent, and I added mushrooms once..excellent
I’ve served it cold and hot, either way is excellent t….cold with cols Salmon or Cod and crusty bread and blistered cherry tomatoes was excellent!!