Fried Green Beans are one of our favorite appetizers to get at restaurants and I thought it was about time I tried making them at home. These Fried Green Beans have a thick and crispy batter that is seasoned with garlic powder and cayenne pepper.
The green beans get tender but have just a little crunch.
Double dipping the green beans in both an egg mixture and flour mixture gives these green beans an extra thick coating of flavorful batter. They fry up quickly, about 3 to 4 minutes to turn golden brown.
This recipe, which is adapted a little from Southern Living Off the Eaten Path: Second Helpings: Tasty eats and delicious stories from the South’s less-traveled trails, is a little time consuming. You have to trim each green bean and double coat them in a messy batter, and then fry them in batches. But it is a great recipe to do when you have some kitchen helpers. I love having my teenage kids help in the kitchen. Get them focused on chopping something or mixing something and those anti-parent barriers that make them answer all questions with one word answers go down. Before you know it, they’ll be blabbing about all kinds of stuff going on at school and with their friends. 🙂
Fried Green Beans need a good sauce, but to simplify things, I just went with a Ranch dressing made from mixing a packet of Hidden Valley Ranch Mix with equal parts mayonnaise and buttermilk.
You don’t have to go out to eat to have your favorite appetizers. Make delicious Fried Green Beans at home!
Fried Green Beans
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Vegetable oil
- 1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
- Ranch dressing
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, and cayenne pepper.
- In another medium bowl, stir together 1 1/2 cups water, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, and vinegar. In a small bowl whisk together egg and baking powder. Whisk into water mixture.
- Pour 2 inches of oil into a Dutch oven. Heat between 350-375 degrees.
- In batches, dip green beans in egg mixture and then dredge in flour mixture. Dredge in egg mixture a second time and then in flour mixture a second time.
- Fry beans for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown. Season to taste with salt and serve with Ranch dressing.
More Green Bean Recipes
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.