Green Beans with Bacon Breadcrumbs- these jazzed up green beans have a crispy breadcrumb topping with lots of crumbled bacon. Just a touch of cream is added for richness.
These green beans work equally well for a weeknight dinner or a holiday meal. They pair wonderfully with any type of meat for Christmas.
How To Make Green Beans with Bacon Breadcrumbs
More detailed instructions in recipe card below.
- Cook the green beans. You’ll boil them in water for about 5 minutes. This will leave them crisp-tender. If you like your green beans really soft, cook them a little longer.
- Make the topping. First cook the bacon. Set it aside and cook the garlic, rosemary, and Panko crumbs in the bacon grease until the Panko crumbs are golden. Careful not to burn. Set aside.
- Cook the onion in butter until soft. Add heavy cream, salt, pepper, and green beans. Simmer the green beans a few minutes to get the green beans coated. Crumble the bacon and add it in.
- Plate it. Transfer to a platter. Top with Panko crumb mixture and pecans.
- Use walnuts or almonds in place of pecans. Or leave the nuts out altogether.
- Use a half teaspoon of garlic powder in place of the garlic.
- Add a tablespoon or two of fresh grated Parmesan cheese. Mix it in just when you finish toasting the breadcrumbs.
- Use parsley in place of rosemary.
- Want it spicy? Add half a teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes.
- Leave the cream out to make it a little healthier.
How To Store Green Beans with Bacon Breadcrumbs
Leftovers will keep for 3 days. The breadcrumbs will of course get soggy, but the dish will still taste good.
More Green Bean Recipes To Try
- Southern-Style Green Beans
- Smothered Cajun Green Beans
- Green Bean Bundles
- Maple-Glazed Green Beans
- Candied Green Beans
- Crock Pot Buttery Bacon Green Beans
- 1 pound green beans, ends trimmed
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped rosemary
- ⅓ cup Panko crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ⅓ cup finely diced onion
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅓ cup toasted pecans
- Boil green beans in salted water for 5 minutes. Drian.
- Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet. Set aside. Leave 2 tablespoons of bacon grease in the skillet.
- Heat bacon grease over medium heat and add garlic, rosemary, Panko crumbs. Cook, stirring frequently, until Panko crumbs are golden.Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Add butter to the skillet and cook onion until soft.Add heavy cream, salt, pepper, and green beans. Simmer for a few minutes and use tongs to get the green beans evenly coated.
- Crumble the bacon and add it to the skillet. Transfer green bean mixture to a serving platter and top with Panko crumb mixture and pecans.