Slow Cooker Barbecued Green Beans are sweet and tangy bbq green beans with lots of smoky bbq flavor. Made from canned beans, they are a cinch to make and are a great side dish for potlucks and family meals. They are kind of like the flavor of baked beans, only with green beans. What’s not to love about that?
BBQ Green Beans
I love the flavor of bbq sauce. It is like ketchup to me. I even use it as pizza sauce. It’s definitely a good complement for green beans.
I find recipes featuring green beans are very popular. Southern-Style Green Beans and Sweet and Sour Green Beans are two of the most popular recipes on Spicy Southern Kitchen. As much as I love both recipes, I think this Slow Cooker Barbecued Green Beans recipe is my favorite. It’s almost like green bean candy.
How To Make Canned Green Beans Taste Homemade
This recipe turns canned green beans into a side dish that tastes homemade. With a bunch of extra flavors added, no one will guess you started with canned beans. Be sure to try these other canned green bean recipes: Rotel Green Beans and Candied Green Beans.
How To Make
(More detailed instructions below.)
The canned green beans are slow cooked with ketchup, brown sugar, BBQ sauce (use your favorite) and Worcestershire sauce. And bacon. Lots of bacon. I like to add just a touch of cayenne pepper to balance the sweetness some.
Four to five hours in the crock pot on LOW and the green beans are coated in the most amazing sweet and tangy flavor!
Can I Use Fresh Or Frozen Beans?
Yes! If using fresh, either blanch them before adding them to the slow cooker or cook them a little longer in the slow cooker. If using frozen, thaw them first.
More Slow Cooker Side Dishes
- Crock Pot Buttery Bacon Green Beans– another great slow cooker green bean recipe!
- Slow Cooker Baby Carrots
- Slow Cooker White Beans
- Slow Cooker Garlic Parmesan Potatoes
- 8 slices thick-cut bacon
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 (14.5-ounce) cans green beans, drained
- Chop bacon and cook it in a large nonstick pan. Remove bacon and set aside.
- Discard all but 2 tablespoons bacon grease. Add onion to bacon grease left in pan and cook until soft.
- In a medium bowl, stir together ketchup, brown sugar, BBQ sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper.
- Add green beans to a lightly greased 4 to 6 quart crock pot.
- Add onions along with any bacon grease left in pan to crock pot.
- Pour ketchup mixture on top and stir in.
- Sprinkle bacon on top. Cover crock pot and cook on LOW for 4 to 5 hours.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.