Sour Cream and Bacon Crockpot Chicken- Chicken breasts wrapped in bacon and slow cooked in a mixture of sour cream, cream of chicken soup, and Cheddar Cheese soup. This crockpot chicken is super easy and only requires a few inexpensive ingredients.
As with any crockpot recipe, the meat cooks up super tender and moist. The chicken gets a wonderful smokiness from the bacon that wraps around it. A mixture of sour cream and condensed soups produces a copious amount of extra thick and creamy sauce. It’s wonderful served over some egg noodles. It would also be good over rice or mashed potatoes.
Since this recipe is so filling, I typically serve it with a green salad, steamed green beans or peas. Broccoli would be good with it too.
It takes a little prep work up front, partially cooking some bacon and sautéing some onions for a few minutes. But you can still get it prepped and ready to go in about 10 minutes. And it will free up that precious evening time when it seems there’s a million other things to do.
Wrap the partially cooked bacon around the chicken.
You’ll need 2 cans of condensed soup. I use one can of condensed chicken soup and one of condensed cheddar soup. Condensed cream of mushroom soup would work instead of chicken. Or you could use 2 cans of condensed chicken soup and then add a little shredded cheddar cheese at the end for some cheese flavor. I’m a big believer in adapting recipes to use what you have on hand.
Stir together the remaining ingredients and place on top of the chicken.
Set your slow cooker to cook on LOW for 5 to 6 hours and you have an amazing meal ready to be served up.
- 8 bacon slices
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (10-ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10-ounce) can Cheddar Cheese Soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut each chicken breast in half so that you have two long and narrow chicken tender shape pieces.
- Place bacon in a large skillet and cook over medium heat until about halfway cooked. You want some of the fat to cook off, but the bacon to still be pliable.
- Immediately wrap a slice of bacon around each chicken piece while the bacon is still pliable. Place in crockpot.
- Add onion to skillet and cook in bacon fat for 2 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and place in crockpot.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together both soups, sour cream, flour, and garlic powder. Pour over chicken.
- Cover crockpot and cook on low for 5-6 hours, until chicken is completely done.
- Remove chicken from crockpot and place on a serving platter. Whisk the sauce well and taste for seasoning. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over rice, egg noodles, or mashed potatoes.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Originally published March 30, 2014
More Crockpot Recipes