Slow Cooker Cabbage and Stewed Tomatoes is an easy cabbage side dish with so much flavor.
Cabbage is one of my favorite vegetables and it cooks up so well in a crock pot. The slow cooking process makes it fabulously tender and it soaks up so much flavor.
Lots of Flavor
Do you get tired of the same old boring sides? Slow Cooker Cabbage and Stewed Tomatoes will breathe new life into your side dish rut. There’s so much flavor: onion, celery, a chicken bouillon cube, Italian seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, celery seeds and crushed red pepper flakes wonderfully season the cabbage.
The tomato part consists of 2 cans of stewed tomatoes and a can of condensed tomato soup. I love using stewed tomatoes. They add just a little bit of sweetness.
You will need a 6-quart or larger slow cooker for this recipe. The uncooked cabbage takes up alot of space.
For even cooking, stir the cabbage halfway through the cooking time.
Make It A Main Dish
If you want to turn this delicious side into a main dish, add a pound of browned ground beef or sliced kielbasa to the slow cooker. Serve with a side of cornbread for an inexpensive and filling meal.
How To Make Spicy
For some heat, add 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes. If it is not spicy enough, serve with hot sauce.
Leftovers will keep in an airtight conatiner in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days.
More Cabbage Recipes
- Southern Cabbage
- Sweet and Sour Cabbage with Bacon
- Crock Pot Cabbage Roll Casserole
- Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
- Cabbage and Noodles
- Old-Fashioned Cabbage Casserole
- Cabbage Soup with Smoked Sausage
- 1 medium head green cabbage, (7 to 8 cups) cored and cut into 2-inch piecees
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 rib celery, finely diced
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 (10.75-ounce) can condensed tomato soup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons bacon grease or butter
- 1 chicken bouillon cube, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Lightly spray a 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Add all ingredients to the slow cooker. Stir to combine them some.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 7 hours. Open the slow cooker and stir halfway through.
- Check for seasoning and add salt to taste.