Crock Pot Cabbage Roll Casserole is a filling and hearty casserole full of ground beef, rice, and tomato sauce with melted mozzarella cheese on top. It has all the flavor of stuffed cabbage but is much easier to make.
If you’re like me, you think everything tastes better in casserole form. There’s just something so comforting about a warm casserole, especially during the fall and winter months. Cabbage Rolls are one of my favorite winter comfort foods, but they are a little time-consuming to make. This recipe for Crock Pot Cabbage Roll Casserole is so much easier.
Note: This recipe can be made gluten-free if you use a gluten-free condensed tomato soup. Leave out the rice to make it low carb.
A layer of gooey, melted mozzarella cheese on top of the casserole makes it taste extra good.
I like to use lean ground beef, but you can use a ground beef with more fat and drain the fat off after you brown it. Or you can use ground turkey.
No need to cook the rice first. It gets fully cooked in the crockpot.
This recipe does take a little prep work. First brown the ground beef in a pan and make a meaty tomato sauce. (The sauce can be made a day in advance.)
It gets layered in the crock pot along with coarsley chopped green cabbage. You’ll need at least a 6-quart crock pot for this recipe because cabbage takes up so much room when it is raw.
Cooking this casserole on LOW for 5 hours is just the right amount of time to get the cabbage so that it is cooked but still has some texture. Cook it too long and it will get mushy.
More Hearty Crock Pot Recipes:
- Slow Cooker Stuffed Peppers
- Crock Pot Chicken and Gravy
- Easy Crock Pot Chicken and Dumplings
- Slow Cooker Brisket
Crock Pot Cabbage Roll Casserole
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (14-ounce) cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 can condensed tomato soup
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 beef bouillon cube, crumbled
- 3/4 cup long grain white rice, uncooked
- 1 medium head cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Place a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add ground beef, onion, and bell pepper. Crumble the beef. When there is almost no pink left, add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add diced tomatoes, half the tomato sauce, half the tomato soup, and all of the Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, thyme, and bouillon cube. Stir to mix.
- Mix in the rice and remove from heat.
- Transfer half of the meat mixture to a 6-quart slow cooker. Layer half the cabbage on top. Repeat layers.
- Mix the remaining tomato sauce and tomato soup together with the water. Pour over cabbage.
- Place lid on crock pot and set to cook on LOW for 5 hours.
- Remove lid and sprinkle cheese on top. Place lid back on for 10 minutes to melt the cheese.