This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of College Inn®. All opinions are mine.
Southern Cabbage is an easy southern side that goes great with chicken and pork and makes a wonderful addition to a holiday meal. Cabbage is slow cooked until tender in chicken broth flavored with bacon and onion, plus a few red pepper flakes if you want some heat.
Southern Cabbage is one of my very favorite foods ever so I enjoy making it even outside of the holiday season. It is supposed to be a side, but to me it’s a main dish because whenever I make it or see it on a buffet, it’s the only thing I want. I think most cabbage lovers can relate.
If you try out this recipe, I’d love to see! Be sure to use #CollegeInnBroth in social media.
- 5 slices bacon
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 medium head cabbage, cored and coarsely chooped
- 2 cups College Inn Chicken Broth
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- black pepper
- Cook bacon in a large pot or Dutch oven until crispy. Remove bacon from pot and set aside.
- Leave about 2-3 tablespoons of bacon grease in the pot. You can save any excess bacon grease for another use.
- Cook the onion in the bacon grease until soft.
- Add cabbage, chicken broth, and red pepper flakes. Cover pot and simmer for about 10 minutes, opening it to stir once or twice.
- Remove lid from pot and cook uncovered for about 15 minutes. Turn up the heat a little so you get a good amount of evaporation.
- Season to taste with pepper. If desired, add a little salt.
- Crumble the bacon and mix it into the cabbage mixture. Serve in small bowls with with the broth.
Want to Save This Recipe?
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of College Inn. The opinions and text are all mine.