Southern Baked Chicken- this chicken recipe is made with simple ingredients and a simple process. The chicken comes out so juicy and tender.
Easy To Prepare
Southern Baked Chicken is perfectly easy to cook. Just coat the chicken in a few seasonings, place in a 9×13-inch baking dish, cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 90 minutes. Uncover and bake another 20 to 30 minutes.
The chicken gets wonderfully golden and there will be tons of flavorful juices in the pan. I love to serve this chicken with white rice to soak up the juices.
The chicken takes a full 2 hours to cook so this is a great recipe for a lazy weekend afternoon. You can even make it ahead of time and reheat it just before serving. You can stick it under the broiler to get the skin to crisp back up.
Type Of Chicken To Use
I use a whole chicken that is alreay cut up. If you want, you can buy a whole chicken and cut it yourself. You can save a little money this way. Or if there are certain pieces you prefer (thighs and legs for example) you can just buy those.
Southern Baked Chicken really doesn’t need much in the way of seasoning. I use seasoned salt, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and pepper. For seasoned salt, I like to use Lawry’s Seasoned Salt.
Make Southern Baked Chicken Spicy
If you want to make Spicy Southern Baked Chicken, just sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper on the chicken. You can also serve it with a little hot sauce.
Great Sides For Chicken
- Super Creamy Mac and Cheese
- Southern-Style Green Beans
- Buttermilk Cornbread Muffins
- The BEST Yeast Rolls
- Fried Okra
- Summer Squash and Onions
- 1 whole chicken, cut up
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Season both sides of the chicken with the seasoned salt, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and black pepper.
- Place chicken skin side up in a 9×13-inch baking dish.Drizzle the melted butter and oil over the chicken.
- Scatter the celery, onion and parsley on top of the chicken.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 1½ hours.Uncover and bake another 20 to 30 minutes.
- To serve, drizzle cooking juices over chicken.