Ham and Cheese Stuffed Chicken with Mustard Cream Sauce has the taste of Chicken Cordon Bleu and it makes an impressive and delicious meal, but it’s not at all difficult to make.
Stuffed chicken breasts are a big favorite of mine. There’s no easier way to ensure a chicken breast has tons of flavor. And with salty ham, gooey melted swiss cheese, and a little Dijon mustard stuffed inside, these chicken breasts are definitely not lacking in flavor.
A pocket is cut in each boneless chicken breast and they are filled with ham and cheese.
Once stuffed they are dipped in egg and coated with bread crumbs. Next they are pan-fried until golden on each side and popped in the oven to finish cooking. I find they cook a little more evenly in the oven.
A 3 ingredient sauce that is made in the microwave makes the perfect accompaniment for these Ham and Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breasts.
For a truly wonderful meal, serve Ham and Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breasts with this Parmesan Rice.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 teaspoons Dijon Mustard
- 8 thin slices deli ham
- 4 thin slices swiss cheese
- salt and pepper
- 1 egg beaten together with 1 tablespoon water
- 1 heaping cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable or olive oil
Mustard Cream Sauce
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut a horizontal slit in the side of each chicken breast to form a pocket.
- Spread 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard inside each pocket and then stuff each pocket with 2 pieces of ham and 1 piece of cheese. Secure with toothpicks.
- Dip each chicken breast in the egg mixture, coating both sides.
- Press bread crumbs into both sides of each chicken breast.
- Heat oil and butter in a large oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat. If you don't have an oven-proof skillet, use any skillet that you have, but you will need to transfer chicken to a baking dish before placing in the oven.
- Once hot, add chicken to pan. Cook about 2 minutes, or until golden brown on the bottom. Flip each piece of chicken over and then place skillet in the oven.
- Bake for 20 to 22 minutes or until cooked all the way through.
- To make sauce, combine all ingredients in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave until warm.
Want to Save This Recipe?
More Chicken Favorites
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.