Bacon, Mushroom, and Cheese Stuffed Chicken- chicken breasts are stuffed with a mixture of crumbled bacon, sauteed mushrooms, and colby jack cheese, topped with more cheese, bacon, and mushrooms, and coated with a honey mustard glaze.
This chicken dish is a lot like Alice Springs Chicken and it is so amazing! I’m a huge fan of stuffed chicken breasts. Scroll down to find more recipes.
Chicken breasts, especially boneless, skinless chicken breasts, can be a little dry and flavorless when cooked. Stuffing them not only packs them with flavor, but I find they are less likley to dry out too.
The key to great stuffed chicken breasts is to start them on the stove so they get seared and golden on the outside and then finish them in the oven to cook them through.
The salty bacon and cheese plus the golden mushrooms create an awesome flavor combination. Adding a simple creamy honey mustard glaze takes them way over the top. This is a lick your plate clean kind of chicken recipe.
Tips for making Bacon, Mushroom, and Cheese Stuffed Chicken:
- If you are pressed for time, the honey mustard glaze can be made a day in advance.
- You can also fry the bacon and cook the mushrooms a day in advance.. Get these things prepped ahead of time and this Bacon Mushroom, and Cheese Stuffed Chicken is a breeze to make for a weeknight meal.
- This chicken goes great with a simple rice pilaf and a green salad or steamed broccoli or asparagus.
More Stuffed Chicken recipes:
Bacon, Mushroom, and Cheese Stuffed Chicken
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 (8-ounce) package white or cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Colby Jack or Mexican cheese
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Honey Mustard Sauce
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Make the Honey Mustard Sauce. Mix together all ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Dice bacon and cook in a large skillet until crispy. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Leave 1 tablespoon of bacon grease in the skillet and cook the mushrooms in it until browned. When mushrooms are almost done, add jalapeno and continue to cook for about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper and let cool some.
- Combine the bacon with the mushroom/jalapeno mixture and the cheese in a medium bowl.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut a pocket in each chicken breast and season with salt and pepper.
- Fill the pockets with bacon/mushroom mixture.
- Heat oven-proof pan over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and the chicken breasts. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Sprinkle any remaining bacon/mushroom/cheese mixture on top of the chicken and then drizzle the sauce on.
- Spray the underside of a piece of foil with cooking spray and loosley cover the pan with it.Place pan in oven for 15 to 18 mintes.
- Uncover and cook another 2 to 3 minutes.Sprinkle with parsley if desired.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Recipe adapted from Natasha’s Kitchen
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
5 thoughts on “Bacon, Mushroom, and Cheese Stuffed Chicken”
If I could give this a 10, I would!! I did add little minced garlic in with the mushroom and jalapenos, and a little bit of cream cheese to the stuffing mix. I also had to use regular mustard instead of dijon for the glaze, was still amazing!
this recipe was super! I did leave mine in for about 45 min. just to make sure chicken was cooked thru!
Definitely in my recipe box
Made this for dinner tonight, what a great tasting meal! The right amount of sweet and spicy. Nice and tender with a creamy cheese sauce. I used flattened breast and rolled, then used toothpicks. The family loved it, will be making again.
This is Amazing… If someone can make this for me, you shall forever be my Hero.. Lol
Sounds delicious! And another way to prepare boneless chicken breasts; will be trying it sooner than later.