French Onion Stuffed Chicken is filled with caramelized onions, garlic and two kinds of cheese for a truly delicious take on stuffed chicken.
Easy, Tasty Filling
The filling is made from caramelized onions that have been cooked in a combo of oil and butter until golden. There’s also garlic, thyme, red pepper flakes, a little beef broth, and mozzarella or gruyere cheese, plus Parmesan cheese. Use mozzarella cheese for a milder flavor or gruyere cheese for a more intense flavor.
The chicken breasts are seared in a pan and then transfered to the oven to finish cooking.
Stuffed Chicken Breasts
I love to stuff chicken breasts. Scroll down for more stuffed chicken recipes. Not only does the chicken cook more evenly, the filling adds flavor and helps keep the inside of the chicken moist.
How To Make A Pocket In Chicken
Use a sharp khife to make a slit in the thickest part of the chicken. It should be about 3 inches in width. Carefully extend the pocket to make it as big as you can without cutting through the other side of the chicken.
You will need an oven-proof skillet, either stainless steel or cast iron. If you don’t have one, just transfer it to a baking dish to place it in the oven.
You can use toothpicks to help hold the pockets closed or just be really careful when you flip them over so the filling does not ooze out.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
More Stuffed Chicken Recipes
- Bacon, Mushroom, and Cheese Stuffed Chicken
- Tuscan Stuffed Chicken
- Ham and Cheese Stuffed Chicken
- Greek Stuffed Chicken
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 medium yellow onions, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella or gruyere cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil and the butter over medium heat in a large oven-proof skillet.Add onion and cook until golden, about 8 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently so they don't burn.
- Add garlic, thyme, and red pepper flakes and cook 1 minute. Add beef broth and cook another minute. Season to taste with salt and pepper.Transfer onions to a medium bowl and set side.
- Cut a pocket in each chicken breast. Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Add mozzarella and Parmesan cheese to bowl with onions and stir to combine.
- Stuff the pockets in the chicken with onion/cheese mixture. Secure with toothpicks if necessary.
- Heat remaining oil in the same skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook for 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer pan to oven and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until cooked through.