Chicken and Sour Cream Bake is a creamy chicken casserole with bacon, slivered almonds and chipped beef. Ony 6 ingredients needed to make this retro favorite.
The chicken is wrapped in bacon, placed on top of chopped chipped beef and then covered in a creamy sauce and sprinkled with almonds. This is a recipe you can find in lots of old church cookbooks. It makes a wonderful family dinner.
- a jar of chipped beef
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- sour cream
- condensed cream of mushroom soup
- slivered almonds
The chicken is wonderfully tender and moist with lots of flavor from the chipped beef. The key to this recipe is cooking the chicken at 300 degrees for a full 2 hours. The lower oven temperature and a long cooking time makes the chicken get extra tender. I’ve even seen some recipes that call for cooking the casserole for 3 hours at 275 degrees.
I think a longer, slower cooking time works really well with both chicken and pork.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CHICKEN AND SOUR CREAM BAKE:
- white rice
- peas or green beans
- side salad
- yeast rolls
Most chipped beef is really salty. I recommend soaking it in warm water for 5 to 10 minutes to remove some of the salt. Drain it and blot it dry with paper towels.
Whether it be a Sunday supper, Church Potluck, family meal, or a special occasion, this Company Chicken will get rave reviews.
More Chicken Casserole Recipes:
Chicken and Sour Cream Bake (Company Chicken)
- 1 (4.5-ounce) jar chipped beef
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1/3 cup almond slivers
- Soak chipped beef in a bowl full of warm water for 5 minutes. Drain and blot dry with paper towels. Roughly chop the chipped beef and place in the bottom of an 8x12-inch baking dish.
- Cut each chicken breast in half lengthwise so you have 2 long, skinny pieces for each one.
- Wrap a piece of bacon around each one and place on topped of the chipped beef.
- Whisk together sour cream and condensed cream of mushroom soup in a medium bowl.Pour over chicken. Sprinkle with almond slivers.
- Bake uncovered in a 300 degree oven for 2 hours.