Banana Pudding Pancakes loaded with all the components of the classic southern dessert- bananas, vanilla wafers, and whipped cream. Is it breakfast or is it dessert? You decide. 🙂
Primarily I’m a chocolate lover, but I also love banana pudding, especially playing with variations of it. And yes, I just realized I don’t have a recipe on this blog for plain ole banana pudding. I’ll have to rectify that soon.
I can’t resist pancakes as it is, but when you add a mashed banana and crushed vanilla wafers to the batter, then layer the pancakes with a thick and creamy pudding syrup studded with fresh banana slices, and top the whole thing off with fresh whipped cream and crushed vanilla wafers- Absolute heaven!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup vanilla wafer crumbs
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1¼ cups milk
- Vegetable oil or cooking spray
- Vanilla Pudding Sauce!
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 banana, thinly sliced
- 1 cup whipped cream (either homemade or store bought)
- ½ cup crushed vanilla wafers
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, vanilla wafer crumbs, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl, combine egg, melted butter, mashed banana, vanilla extract, and milk. Add to bowl with dried ingredients and mix just until combined.
- Heat a griddle or large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Coat with Vegetable oil or cooking spray. Pour ¼ cup of batter for each pancake and cook until set on one side, flip, and continue to cook until set all the way through. Keep warm.
- For Pudding Syrup, in a small saucepan combine cornstarch, ½ cup sugar, and a pinch of salt. Whisk in 2 egg yolks, ½ and ½, and 1 cup milk. Heat slowly, whisking constantly. Boil for 1 minute. Stir in vanilla and remove from heat.
- Add banana slices to Pudding Syrup.
- To serve, stack pancakes, layering a small amount of pudding syrup between pancakes. Top with whipped cream, more Pudding Syrup, and vanilla wafer crumbs.
More Pancake Recipes That Can Pass for Dessert