Banana Pudding Pancakes loaded with all the components of the classic southern dessert- bananas, vanilla wafers, and whipped cream. Is it breakfast or is it dessert? You decide. 🙂
Primarily I’m a chocolate lover, but I also love banana pudding, especially playing with variations of it. And yes, I just realized I don’t have a recipe on this blog for plain ole banana pudding. I’ll have to rectify that soon.
I can’t resist pancakes as it is, but when you add a mashed banana and crushed vanilla wafers to the batter, then layer the pancakes with a thick and creamy pudding syrup studded with fresh banana slices, and top the whole thing off with fresh whipped cream and crushed vanilla wafers- Absolute heaven!
Banana Pudding Pancakes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup vanilla wafer crumbs
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- Vegetable oil or cooking spray
Vanilla Pudding Sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 banana, thinly sliced
- 1 cup whipped cream, either homemade or store bought
- 1/2 cup crushed vanilla wafers
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, vanilla wafer crumbs, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl, combine egg, melted butter, mashed banana, vanilla extract, and milk. Add to bowl with dried ingredients and mix just until combined.
- Heat a griddle or large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Coat with Vegetable oil or cooking spray. Pour 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake and cook until set on one side, flip, and continue to cook until set all the way through. Keep warm.
- For Pudding Syrup, in a small saucepan combine cornstarch, 1/2 cup sugar, and a pinch of salt. Whisk in 2 egg yolks, 1/2 and 1/2, and 1 cup milk. Heat slowly, whisking constantly. Boil for 1 minute. Stir in vanilla and remove from heat.
- Add banana slices to Pudding Syrup.
- To serve, stack pancakes, layering a small amount of pudding syrup between pancakes. Top with whipped cream, more Pudding Syrup, and vanilla wafer crumbs.
You Might Also Like This Banana Pudding Cake!
More Pancake Recipes That Can Pass for Dessert