Red Velvet Pancakes with Cream Cheese Drizzle are wonderfully fluffy and moist and have just the right amount of chocolate flavor.
Red Velvet Pancakes make an absolutely, positively delicious breakfast for Christmas morning, Valentine’s Day or any day. These pancakes are extra decadent, studded with mini chocolate chips and drizzled with a cream cheese glaze. There’s a whole lot of sugar going on here.
If you don’t feel like having them for breakfast, they definitely qualify for dessert.
Red Velvet Pancakes Recipe Tips
You’ll want to make sure the heat under your griddle isn’t too hot. I find that they burn easily. Most likely because the batter has so much sugar in it. Cook them a little longer and slower than normal to ensure the inside sets up before the outside burns.
A few fresh strawberries go great with these pancakes.
The dry ingredients can be mixed together the night before to save time.
More Red Velvet Treats To Try
- Red Velvet Cake– a classic layer cake with cream cheese frosting.
- German Chocolate-Red Velvet Cake– two southern favorites combined into one cake.
- Red Velvet Cupcakes
- Red Velvet Scones– perfectly tender scones with a cream cheese drizzle.
- Red Velvet Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Red Velvet Marble Bundt Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons red food coloring
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- Maple syrup for serving
Cream Cheese Glaze
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk eggs, buttermilk, sour cream, food coloring, and vanilla.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix just until combined.
- Fold chocolate chips into batter
- Use 1/3 cup batter per pancake cooking on a griddle heated over medium heat until lightly browned on both sides.
- For Cream Cheese Glaze, beat together cream cheese and confectioners’ sugar with an electric mixer until smooth. Add in vanilla extract and 1 tablespoon of milk and beat until smooth. Add in extra milk until glaze reaches desired consistency.
- To serve, drizzle cream cheese glaze on top of pancakes and maple syrup, if desired. To make drizzling the glaze easy, place in a plastic bag and snip the corner.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Originally published January 30, 2014.
Recipe adapted from thatssoyummy.com
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.