These Banana Pudding Cupcakes are the cupcake version of banana pudding with a creamy pudding center, whipped topping and crushed vanilla wafers.
If you grew up in a southern household, chances are banana pudding was one of the desserts most likely to be served whenever there was a gathering of family or friends. Everyone, kids and adults alike, seems to love this sweet, delicious, and creamy mixture of pudding, fresh bananas, and vanilla wafers with either whipped cream or a meringue on top.
It’s perfect for potlucks or large gatherings because it can and should be made ahead.
These Banana Pudding Cupcakes are cool, creamy, and dreamy just like banana pudding. They will make your eyes roll back in your head as you savor every delicious bite.
They start off with a super moist and delicious vanilla cupcake which is hollowed out and filled with vanilla wafer crumbs and a creamy pudding made richer with cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk, and studded with fresh banana pieces. It’s all topped off with some sweetened whipped topping. Your taste buds won’t know what hit them!
Try these other Banana Pudding Recipes:
Watch the short video below to see how to make this recipe:
Banana Pudding Cupcakes
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 2 egg yolks, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup vanilla wafer crumbs
- 1 large container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 12 whole vanilla wafers
- 8- oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- ¾ cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (3.4-ounce) box instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 ripe banana, cut into thin slices and then into a dice
- Heat oven to 350º with oven rack in middle of oven. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- Place flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl and use a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment to mix them together.
- With mixer on medium speed, add butter, sour cream. egg, egg yolks, and vanilla. Beat for 30 seconds, until smooth and satiny.
- Remove mixing bowl from mixer and using a rubber spatula, scrape down the sides of the bowl and make sure batter is mixed evenly.
- Divide batter equally among muffin cups and bake for 18 to 22 minutes. Let cool before proceeding.
- Using a spoon or your fingers, create a hollowed out portion in each cupcake like you would to make a bread bowl, but being careful to leave a layer of cupcake all the way across the bottom.
- Sprinkle some vanilla wafer crumbs at the bottom of each cupcake “bowl”.
- Using an electric mixer, beat together the cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk for 2-3 minutes. Scrape down sides of bowl at least once.
- Add milk, vanilla extract, and pudding mix and beat until mixed together well. Stir in bananas by hand. Immediately spoon into cupcakes.
- Spoon pudding mixture into the holes with enough extra so you can create a layer of pudding spread across the top of the cupcake.
- Use an offset spatula or a pastry bag fitted with a large tip to add whipped topping on top of the pudding mixture. Garnish with a whole vanilla wafer and more crumbs if desired.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Vanilla Cupcake recipe slightly adapted from Brown Eyed Baker
Originally published Aug 12, 2013
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
47 thoughts on “Banana Pudding Cupcakes”
Loved these! Easy to make and so delicious. I used mini vanilla wafers which I think worked well with the cupcake size. These can get a little liquid heavy, so be sure to mind that when you’re putting the pudding into the cupcakes 🙂
Thank you for the great recipe, I haven’t tried it yet but I am soon. Can I ask what the name of the item you used to put the push down the cupcake before you put the filling in. Thank you so much!
Says use egg yolks but in the video egg whites. Thats a big mistake to put on there i didnt watch video at first when i made them. The first time was very dense because of the added yolks. . second time was better with the egg whites. But will look for a better recipe. I havs had boxed cake that taste better.
I did the same thing 🙄 Please correct this in recipe please. I hope it don’t turn out to be a waste when I get them out
OMG I just did the same thing… UGH!
I have been making these cupcakes for years now. I have even made it as a big cake. It is always a crowd pleaser and my go-to dessert for any function.
You think using a box of French vanilla cupcake mix would be good for this recipe?
Made these for my daughter in law birthday. So good. Everyone loved them.
These were a hit! I do have a question though. I had a lot of the filling leftover. How long is it good stored in the refrigerator? I was thinking I could make a half batch of cupcakes and use it up but it’s been almost a week.
I love using leftover pudding and the cupcake pieces I have from hollowing out to make little bowls of goodness.
My pudding mixture is morning creamy like pudding should be. I️ used 2% milk instead of whole. Can I️ add more milk to make it creamy?
How many cupcakes makes this recipe?
I made these yesterday and they are amazing!!!
Has anyone tried to make chocolate cupcakes? Any recommendations on how to add cocoa powder into the recipe?
Have you ever are this with banana flavored pudding instead of vanilla? Would it be too much?
I don’t think it would be too much if you want plenty of banana flavor. Maybe cut back some on the fresh banana because it tends to really flavor the pudding pretty strongly.