Only 1 more day until September and while not officially fall, there is no harm in getting a head start on fall baking. Although technically making pancakes is not baking, it still fills the house with the wonderful scents that baking does.
There’s nothing I love better in the fall than baking with pumpkin and sweet potatoes and there’s perhaps no better fall breakfast than pumpkin pancakes, especially when topped with a bourbon vanilla maple syrup. The flavor of the pumpkin is boosted by cinnamon, ginger, allspice, and nutmeg. All those wonderful fall spices that smell so enticing.
Add a pat of butter on top and the flavor combination is out of this world. You’ll want it to be fall all year long.
And if you just can’t get enough pumpkin, try one of these treats too: Pumpkin Spice Bread French Toast, Pumpkin Cake with Maple Frosting, Spicy Pumpkin Bread, Upside Down Pumpkin Pecan Muffins, or Pumpkin Spice Bars.
Pumpkin Pancakes with Bourbon Vanilla Maple Syrup
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons Vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup bourbon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, allspice, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt. Whisk together.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, pumpkin, egg, vegetable oil, and vinegar.
- Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture and stir just until dry ingredients are incorporated into the wet.
- Heat a lightly oiled griddle or large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. For each pancake pour about ¼ of batter onto the griddle and cook until both sides are lightly browned.
- In a small saucepan, bring maple syrup and bourbon to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 8-10 minutes. Add vanilla and serve warm.
Yield: about 12 pancakes
Recipe Source: adapted from allrecipes.com