Sugar Cream Pie is an egg-free pie with a creamy filling flavored with vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Great served warm or chilled with a little whipped cream.
This pie is also known as Hoosier Cream Pie, and like Egg Custard Pie or Buttermilk Pie, it is a simple pie using simple ingredients, but it is amazingly delicious.
This filling is made from sugar, milk, cornstarch, and butter and it is wonderfully buttery in taste. It tastes a little like Creme Brulee. Perfect for Easter, Thanksgiving, or pretty much any occasion.
You’ll start by blind-baking a pie crust. You can use either pie weights or dried beans to hold the pie crust down while it bakes. Otherwise it will puff up.
Next you’ll make the filling on the stovetop and pour it into the pre-baked pie crust.
Then the pie bakes for just 15 to 20 minutes. It will be really jiggly when you take it out of the oven but will firm up as it cools. The pie will need to be refrigerated for at least a few hours before you slice it. Serve either cold or warm it in the microwave.
I love that this Sugar Cream Pie is made with basic pantry ingredients and it is great for when you are out of eggs.
SUGAR CREAM PIE Recipe Tips:
- Will keep in the refrigerator for 5 days.
- 2% milk can be used instead of whole milk.
Try These Other Easy Pie Recipes:
- Vinegar Pie
- Chocolate Chess Pie
- Oatmeal Pie
- Blueberry Buttermilk Pie– everyone raves about this pie and it is so easy to make.
Sugar Cream Pie
- 1 pie crust, frozen, refrigerated, or homemade
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Fit pie crust into a 9-inch pie plate and flute the edges.Place a layer of parchment paper or heavy duty foil in the pie crust and fill with pie weights or dried beans.Bake for 8 minutes.
- Remove the pie weights and parchment paper. Bake another 5 to 7 minutes or until light brown. Set pie crust on the counter while you make the filling.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together sugar and cornstarch. Whisk in milk until smooth.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 2 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Remove from heat and add butter, vanilla extract, and nutmeg. Stir until butter is melted.Pour into prepared crust. Sprinkle cinnamon on top. Place pie on a baking sheet in case there is any overflow. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Pie will still be jiggly, but will firm up as it cools.
- Let cool on the counter for 20 minutes and then refrigerate until completely chilled.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
1 thought on “Sugar Cream Pie”
Could I just make the filling and bake in a ramekin and serve as an almost crème brûlée?