Old-Fashioned Buttermilk Pie is a classic, traditional southern pie. It’s simple and made from regular ingredients, but it tastes so good. Buttermilk Pie is creamy, sweet heaven. It’s one of my very favorite pies.
Old-Fashioned Buttermilk Pie has a super smooth, custard-like filling that is really sweet. The filling only takes about 5 minutes to make and consists of eggs, buttermilk, sugar, melted butter, flour for thickening, and lemon juice, vanilla extract, and nutmeg for flavor.
Buttermilk Pie is very similar to Chess Pie only a Chess Pie typically has cornmeal and a Buttermilk Pie does not.
You can use a store bought pie crust or make your own. Watch the video below to learn how to make an easy homemade Flaky Pie Crust.
You can eat Buttermilk Pie warm, room temperature, or chilled. I think it tastes best straight from the refrigerator, especially when the weather is warm. Then it is cool and creamy and oh so delicious.
Old-Fashioned Buttermilk pie is super sweet with a little tang. Such an easy pie to make!
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter melted and cooled
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 1 9-inch pie crust, unbaked
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and sugar.
- Whisk in remaining ingredients until smooth.
- Pour into prepared pie crust.
- Bake at 400 for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees and continue bake for 40 to 45 minutes.
More Pie Recipes
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.