Oatmeal Pie is an old-fashioned pie that is wonderfully sweet and gooey. The oatmeal gives it a slightly chewy and crunchy texture that is divine.
I love it served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or some fresh whipped cream. With a hint of cinnamon in it, it’s like a warm oatmeal cookie.
Similar To Pecan Pie
If you love Pecan Pie, you will love Oatmeal Pie as they are very similar. Brown sugar creates a fabulously deep and rich flavor.
Easy To Make in One Bowl
Like Pecan Pie, Oatmeal Pie is super simple to make. You need only a bowl to mix the ingredients in and a pie crust. The ingredients for this pie are pretty much identical to that of a pecan pie, only oats are used instead of pecans. It is said that this pie became popular during the Civil War when pecans were in short supply.
- Large Bowl– needed to mix the pie filling.
- Whisk– No need for a mixer. The ingredients are best mixed with a whisk. I love this OXO Balloon Whisk. It is a sturdy, durable whisk and really gets the job done.
You can use a store-bought pie crust or a homemade pie crust for this recipe.
Oatmeal Pie Recipe Tips
To tell if the pie is set, give it a shake. It should still be sightly jiggly in the middle, but not really jiggly. It will set up more as it cools. I think it’s best to let it cool completely before slicing. But I love it served warm so I typically reheat it by the slice to serve it. The microwave is fine for this or a toaster oven.
If you like coconut, try adding 1/2 a cup of sweetened shredded coconut to the filling. It is really good and gives the pie even more of a chewy texture.
More Easy Pie Recipes
Watch the short video below to see how easy this recipe is to make.
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup salted butter, melted
- 1 (9-inch) unbaked pie shell
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, granulated sugar, brown sugar, flour, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and salt until smooth.
- Add corn syrup, oats and melted butter. Stir to mix well. Pour into pie crust.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Let cool before slicing.