Caramel Chess Pie is a traditional, old-fashioned chess pie with a wonderful caramel flavor.
Chess Pies are one of the easiest homemade desserts to make whether you use a refrigerated pie crust or homemade.
A few simple ingredients you are likely to already have in your pantry, a bowl, a whisk, and a pie plate are all you need.
If you’d like to use a homemade pie crust, here’s a video showing you how to make an easy, incredibly flaky pie crust.
The filling is very simple to make. It tastes like a buttery, caramel custard and the caramel flavor comes from brown sugar. There’s no need to make or use an actual caramel sauce.
To get a little fancy, add a dollop of whipped cream or even a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Make Ahead Holiday Recipe
This pie makes a wonderful dessert for Thanksgiving. It can be made a day or 2 in advance and then refrigerated.
Caramel Chess Pie Recipe Tip
You can use a store-bought refrigerated crust, frozen crust or a homemade crust. The pie crust does not need to blind-baked.
Everyone will love this easy, caramel-flavored chess pie!
More Easy Pie Recipes
- Chocolate Chess Pie
- Lemon Chess Pie
- Old-Fashioned Buttermilk Pie– a classic, traditional southern pie with a really sweet flavor.
- No Bake Pink Lemonade Pie– such a fun color!
- Sugar Cream Pie– an egg-free pie with a creamy filling flavored with vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Blueberry Buttermilk Pie– with fresh, juicy blueberries.
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, whisked or sifted to remove any clumps
- 1 egg
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium heavy-bottomed pan, heat butter, both sugars, milk, and flour over medium heat. Stir constantly until butter is melted and sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and pour into a large bowl. Let cool 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg, egg yolks, vanilla, salt, and nutmeg together.
- Slowly whisk about 1 cup of butter mixture into eggs (this prevents them from curdling). Then whisk the egg mixture into the butter mixture.
- Pour into pie shell.
- Bake 10 minutes and then reduce heat to 325 degrees and bake 35 more minutes.
Want to Save This Recipe?
More Chess Pie Recipes
Originally posted November 1, 2016.