This old-fashioned Strawberry Pretzel Salad consists of a salty pretzel crust topped with a creamy and sweet cream cheese layer and a strawberry jello topping filled with fresh strawberries.
It’s the perfect dessert to satisfy your salty-sweet cravings and take advantage of in-season strawberries.
This is far from your typical salad. In fact it’s not a salad at all. Strawberry Pretzel Salad is along the lines of Watergate Salad. A dessert that’s called a salad. It tastes similar to a no-bake cheesecake.
Tips for making Strawberry Pretzel Salad:
You can use frozen strawberries instead of fresh.
Be sure to spread the cream cheese layer all the way to the edges so that the jello layer doesn’t seep down and make the pretzels soggy.
If you like a little saltiness in your sweets, you will find this Strawberry Pretzel Salad to be addictive. Each of the 3 layers is delicious on its own, but put them all together and you have amazing flavor and texture contrasts.
Strawberry Pretzel Salad is a classic summer dessert that makes a wonderful make-ahead dish for a potluck or picnic.
Try these other strawberry desserts:
Watch the short video below to see how easy this dessert is.
Strawberry Pretzel Salad
- 2 cups crushed thin salted pretzels
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 (8-ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 (6-ounce) package strawberry Jello-O
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 cups thinly sliced fresh strawberries
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, mix together crushed pretzels, butter, and 3 tablespoons sugar. Press into a lightly greased 9X13-inch pan. Bake for 8 minutes and cool completely.
- Use an electric mixer to beat cream cheese and 1 cup sugar until smooth. Fold in whipped topping using a rubber spatula. Spread over cooled pretzel crust being sure cream cheese mixture completely covers and seals the crust. This will help keep the jello layer from seeping down.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes (can be refrigerated overnight at this point).
- In a bowl, whisk together jello and boiling water until jello is completely dissolved. Add the strawberries. Refrigerate for 5 minutes and then pour on top of cream cheese layer. Refrigerate until firm.
Originally published May 5, 2014