This Chocolate Cheesecake is just the thing to satisfy your chocolate cravings. Plenty of chocolaty flavor and just the right amount of sweetness. This creamy dessert is sure to impress.
I think people tend to get a little intimidated by making cheesecakes. But once you’ve made one or two, they’re really quite simple.
Since you make them in advance, they are perfect for holidays and get togethers. Cheesecakes are impressive enough for a formal occasion, but they taste so good, no one is going to complain if you bring one to a casual picnic or block party.
This Perfect Chocolate Cheesecake starts with an oreo crust and then a filling made from 2 kinds of chocolate- unsweetened cocoa powder and semi-sweet chocolate chips.
There’s not too much sweetness in the batter and the tang of the cream cheese really shines through. I love to use Challenge Cream Cheese. It’s fresh taste and creamy texture really makes the difference.
On top is a thick layer of chocolate ganache made from more semi-sweet chocolate. I like to serve each piece with a big dollop of whipped cream.
Never miss a recipe. Follow Spicy Southern Kitchen on Pinterest and Instagram.
Perfect Chocolate Cheesecake
- 25 Oreo cookies (whole cookies)
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whipped cream for serving
- Use food processor to turn cookies into crumbs or place cookies in a large plastic bag and smash with a rolling pin.
- Stir together cookie crumbs and melted butter in a medium bowl. Transfer into a greased 9-inch springform pan. Press crumbs into bottom and halfway up the sides. Place in 350 degree oven and bake for 8 minutes. Let cool while you make filling.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees.
- Place 1/4 cup chocolate chips in a small bowl. Heat 1/4 cup heavy cream in a small bowl to just a simmer. Pour cream over chocolate chips. Let sit 2 minutes and then stir until smooth. Set aside.
- Using and electric mixer, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth.
- Beat in cocoa powder.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating just until combined.
- Stir in vanilla and melted chocolate mixture.
- Pour batter onto crust. Place springform pan on a baking sheet and bake 45 to 50 minutes or until center jiggles just slightly. Cool cheesecake 10 minutes.
- Make topping. Place chocolate chips in a small bowl. Heat cream in a small saucepan just until it reaches a simmer. Pour over chocolate chips. Let sit 2 minutes. Add vanilla and stir until smooth.
- Spread over filling. Let sit 10 minutes. Run knife around edge of pan. Remove sides of pan. Let sit on counter to cool for 1 hour. Then refrigerate overnight.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Recipe adapted slightly from Taste of Home
More Cheesecake Recipes
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Cheesecake
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
10 thoughts on “Perfect Chocolate Cheesecake”
This was amazing. It is the second recipe I made of yours (first was the toffee cheesecake) I made this for my office… Well two of them.. for a bday of my coworker. And every single person loved it. I wish I could post a picture! Your recipes never cease to amaze and don’t require any tweaks at all!
Crockpot pecan pie posted on Facebook. Cannot find!
Did you get my email? Here is the recipe- https://spicysouthernkitchen.com/crock-pot-pecan-pie/
Perfect really is the only word to describe this. Looks SO stinking amazing. Seriously, I need to try this before I drown in my own drool!
Crazy delicious. I think those are the first words that come to mind upon seeing this. And I haven’t even tasted it yet. We eat with our eyes first – so you’ve done a fab job here!
This must taste like heaven. Thanks for this recipe!
Oh this definitely looks like the perfect cheesecake! I’ve actually never made a chocolate version before, so I need to try this. Love that gorgeous topping, too!
Gorgeous cheesecake! I especially love the top layer, it sounds amazing! Cheesecake is one of my favorite desserts to make……and eat! 🙂
This cheesecake looks awesome! Cheesecake is my favorite dessert and this chocolate version is just stunning- pinning 🙂
Oh yum!! these are amazing and the presentation is just as wonderful! amazing job!