This rich and creamy Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Cheesecake has an oreo crust topped by a layer of peanut butter cups and a chocolate cheesecake filling. To make it even more decadent, I piped peanut butter frosting around the edges and sprinkled a whole bag of mini Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups in the middle. I couldn’t resist making it look like this cake from Let’s Dish Recipes.
I took most of the cheesecake to my son when I went to visit him at college a few weeks ago. He shared with some friends in his dorm and none of them could believe it was a homemade cheesecake because it tasted like it was from the Cheesecake Factory.
I think that chocolate and peanut butter is the ultimate flavor combination for any type of dessert, but especially cheesecake. I layered about 12 full-sized, whole Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups on the bottom. Talk about yum! Then a bunch of those mini Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups on top.
When you use one of your favorite candies for a recipe, it’s like you’re already halfway there to creating a fabulous dessert. The creamy chocolate cheesecake filling and peanut butter frosting are really just there to compliment the peanut butter cups. 🙂
This is a peanut butter cup lover’s cheesecake for sure!
- 24 Oreo cookies, finely crushed
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 12 Reese's Peanut Butter Cups
- 1 (12-ounce) bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 (12-ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 bag mini Reese's Peanut Butter Cups
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl stir together oreo crumbs and melted butter.. Press into the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan. Place springform pan on a baking sheet and place in oven for 8 minutes. Set aside.
- To make filling, place chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on HIGH at 20 second intervals until smooth when stirred. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese at medium speed until smooth.
- Add sweetened condensed milk and vanilla and beat on LOW until combined.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating just until combined.
- Beat in melted chocolate just until combined.
- Place peanut butter cups on top of cooled oreo crust.
- Pour batter over peanut butter cups.
- Place in 300 degree oven for 1 hour 5 minutes. Turn oven off and leave cheesecake in oven with door closed for 1 hour.
- Remove cheesecake from oven, run a knife around the edge. Let cool to room temperature and then remove sides of pan. Make ganache and pour on top of cheesecake.
- To make ganache, bring whipping cream to a simmer in a small saucepan. Stir in chocolate chips and remove from heat. Continue to stir until smooth. Let cool slightly before pouring on cheesecake. Refrigerate cheesecake at least 8 hours.
- To make peanut butter frosting, beat cream cheese with electric mixer. Add peanut butter and beat until evenly combined.
- Beat in powdered sugar and enough milk to make it thin enough to pipe.
- Place icing in a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip and swirl around the edges.
- Pile mini Reese's cups in middle of cheesecake
More Cheesecake Recipes
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.