Chocolate and peanut butter is maybe my favorite flavor combination ever. (Original I know.) But who doesn’t love it?
I almost feel like adding another ingredient to the mix is like adding a third wheel and upsetting the dynamics of a perfect union. But these Peanut Butter Mississippi Mud Brownies are incredibly rich and gooey, and a layer of marshmallows fits right in without detracting from the delicious flavors of the chocolate and peanut butter.
The creaminess of the peanut butter definitely takes these brownies over the edge and I think I like this recipe even more than the Mississippi Mud Cupcakes I made several weeks ago. But maybe not quite as much as Mississippi Mud Pie. That one is hard to beat!
Love southern desserts? Follow Spicy Southern Kitchen on Pinterest and Instagram for more brownies, pies, and cobblers.
Sign up HERE for the Spicy Southern Kitchen Newsletter.
Watch the short video below to see how easy these Peanut Butter Mississippi Mud Brownies are to make.
Peanut Butter Mississippi Mud BrowniesPrint Pin Rate
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 cups mini marshmallows
- ¾ cup peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- ¼ cup butter
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Chop the chocolate into small pieces, place in a small heavy-bottomed pan and heat over low heat, stirring constantly, until melted. Remove from heat.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter and 2 cups sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, waiting until each egg is blended in before adding the next one.
- Add melted chocolate, and beat just until blended. Add flour and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and beat on low speed until flour is moistened.
- Spread batter into 9X13-inch pan. Sprinkle semi-sweet chocolate chips on top and bake for 30 minutes if using a metal pan and slightly longer in a glass pyrex dish.
- Sprinkle marshmallows on top of brownies and return to oven on top rack for 1-2 minutes or until marshmallows are melted and lightly browned on top.
- Combine peanut butter and canola oil in a small bowl and microwave for 10 seconds on HIGH. Stir to combine and drizzle on top of marshmallow covered brownies.
- For chocolate frosting, combine ¼ butter, unsweetened cocoa, and milk in a saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly for 2-3 minutes.. Whisk in powdered sugar and vanilla extract until smooth. Drizzle on top of brownies.
More Mississippi Mud Recipes