Brownies are my very favorite sweet treat. I bake them all the time. So naturally I had to try these Lunch Lady Brownies that I saw all over Pinterest.
Because what’s the only thing better than a brownie? A brownie with frosting. And these brownies are covered in a wonderful chocolate icing.
These are my very favorite kind of brownie- fudgy, chewy, and oh so chocolaty.
You’ll have a hard time not eating 2 or 3 or even 4 or 5. They are that good. It’s a classic recipe you will want to make over and over again.
Supposedly this recipe was originally from a lunch lady in Idaho- hence the name Lunch Lady Brownies. The recipe dates back about 50 years, proving it has stood the test of time. It’s a simple recipe made from just butter, cocoa, flour, sugar, eggs, and vanilla.
If you haven’t tried this recipe before, you’ll find they are definitely a keeper.
Sign up HERE for the Spicy Southern Kitchen Newsletter.
A classic recipe for fudge, chewy brownies with icing.
- 1 cup butter melted
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 9x13-inch baking pan with foil. Spray foil with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk melted butter and 1/2 cup cocoa powder together until smooth.
- Add remaining brownie ingredients and stir until evenly combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 25 to 30 minutes.
- Let brownies cool 15 minutes and then frost. (They should still be somewhat warm when you frost them.)
- To make frosting, use an electric mixer to beat together all frosting ingredients until smooth. Spread frosting on brownies.
Recipe adapted from: Saltbox House Creations
More Brownie Recipes
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.