Texas Sheet Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting is an easy and delicious chocolate cake baked in a jelly roll pan and topped with a thick layer of luscious peanut butter frosting. Chocolate and peanut butter heaven!
The cake layer has plenty of chocolate flavor and the frosting is bursting with peanut butter flavor. I love making sheet cakes because they are so easy to make and this one is no exception.
What Size Pan To Use For This Recipe?
This sheet cake is baked in a 18×13-inch pan which is referred to as a jelly roll pan. It makes a nice, not too thick cake that is easy to cut into lots of pieces to feed a crowd. It also means you can have a large ratio of frosting to cake and I’m all about the frosting. You can bake the cake in a 9×13-inch pan, but you will need to increase the baking time to 30 to 35 minutes.
The cake batter can be made without a mixer. Unsweetened cocoa powder gives it its chocolate flavor. Unsweetened cocoa powder needs to be “bloomed” in order to add maximum flavor to a cake and prevent the cake from being dry. To bloom it, you must mix it with hot liquid.
To bloom the cocoa powder, you’ll mix it with a cup of water and the butter and heat the mixture in a saucepan until it boils.
For the frosting, you’ll need either an electric stand mixer or a hand-held mixer. Lots of peanut butter and some heavy cream make an ultra-creamy frosting with lots of peanut butter flavor.
Note: This cake can be stored at room temperature.
Texas Sheet Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting is a fabulous cake for your next potluck.
Try These Other Chocolate and Peanut Butter Desserts
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Grahams
- No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie
- Slow Cooker Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake
- Peanut Butter Brownie Cups
Watch The Short Video Below To See How Easy This Recipe Is To Make.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks), softened I use salted butter
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
Peanut Butter Frosting
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 5 tablespoons butter (I use salted)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 18×13-inch pan with baking spray with flour.Or you can butter and flour the pan.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and sugar in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Add butter, cocoa powder, and water to a medium saucepan. Heat until mixture comes to a boil. Stir well and pour over flour mixture.Stir into flour mixture.
- Add vanilla, sour cream, and eggs. Mix until evenly combined.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool.
- To make frosting, use a hand-held or stand electric mixer to beat peanut butter and butter until creamy.
- Add remaining ingredients and beat on high for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Spread frosting on cake.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.