These easy, made-from-scratch Spicy Chocolate Brownies have a teaspoon of cayenne pepper added for some heat. Yes, even desserts are better spicy.
Serve as is or warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Intense Chocolate Flavor
These brownies have an intense chocolate flavor. There’s a full 8 ounces of bittersweet chocolate plus some unsweetened cocoa powder in them for a double dose of chocolate.
Sweet and Spicy
The combination of sweet and spicy is a real winner in my book. A full teaspoon of cayenne pepper gives a noticeable amount of spice. Cut back to 3/4 teaspoon if you want tamer brownies.
How Long To Bake
For really fudgy brownies, I like to underbake my brownies slightly. They will take between 40 and 45 minutes to fully bake.
- 8-inch Square Baking Pan
- Parchment Paper– makes it easy to lift the brownies out of the pan so that you can cut them into squares without difficulty.
- Heavy-Bottomed Saucepan– for melting the butter and the chocolate. I don’t think you need a double boiler for this. Just a good quality saucepan with a heavy bottom set over low heat. Stir the whole time and you will not have any burning.
- Whisk– a balloon whisk really gets the job done.
Spicy Chocolate Brownies Recipe Tip
Add a little cinnamon if you want the flavor of Mexican Brownies. I would add 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon.
More Wonderful Brownie Recipes
- Peanut Butter Mississippi Mud Brownies
- Double Frosted Peanut Butter Brownies
- Lunch Lady Brownies
- Praline Brownies
- Nutella Brownies
- Bittersweet Chocolate Brownies
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup salted butter, cubed
- 1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.Spray an 8-inch baking pan with cooking spray and then line the pan with parchment paper so that the edges extend up.
- Melt chocolate and butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan, stirring until smooth.
- Remove saucepan from heat and whisk in both sugars.Let cool for 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, cayenne pepper, and salt. Set aside.
- Whisk eggs and vanilla into chocolate mixture.
- Stir in flour mixture.
- Transfer batter to prepared baking dish.Bake for 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool before cutting into squares.